• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

maybe der vaderland isn't so perfect

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

#betefürbr14

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      Just what we need, a vocab lesson from an arse. Now, conjugate the verb to 'fook right off'...
      Will this do?
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        The ***** pretends he can write German, he writes two words and makes two mistakes, but hey he is your typical brexiteer and was deported from The Netherlands because of his abnormal behaviour
        So when are you due to be deported then...?
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Just what we need, a vocab lesson from an arse. Now, conjugate the verb to 'fook right off'...
          Grammar lesson, not vocab. It's Das because Vaterland is in the neutral gender (which is because Land is also neutral). Of course that's only in the nominative and accusative cases, in dative it's Dem and in genitive it's Des - but noboday uses the genitive case much nowadays.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          #betefürbr14
          #betenfürbr14 (or if we're all per du, then #betetfürbr14).
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Correct, forgot the 'n' in the first post and then the dangers of cut and paste... 'Bete zu NAT'...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Grammar lesson, not vocab. It's Das because Vaterland is in the neutral gender (which is because Land is also neutral). Of course that's only in the nominative and accusative cases, in dative it's Dem and in genitive it's Des - but noboday uses the genitive case much nowadays.

Fair play, it's been 35 years since I did any German (CSE Grade 1, and no, I have no idea how that happened, except for an administrative error). The teacher, who was about as German as Scooty, described everything as 'German vocab'.
              I thought Swiss-German was grammatically distinct from 'real' German?
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Fair play, it's been 35 years since I did any German (CSE Grade 1, and no, I have no idea how that happened, except for an administrative error). The teacher, who was about as German as Scooty, described everything as 'German vocab'.
                And vocab distinct.

My one trip to Switzerland, we found a place o eat where nobody spoke English. Mrs OG couldn't understand the conversation when she tried her real German. My French didn't work but we got by with my Italian. It all felt very smug metropolitan elite, before we even knew we were such a thing.
                Last edited by Old Greg; 17 September 2020, 10:53.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Correct, forgot the 'n' in the first post and then the dangers of cut and paste... 'Bete zu NAT'...
                  In fact, imperative in the formal would be #betensiefürbr14.
                  There's German high German and Swiss high German. They're very similar and have the same grammar - the differences are largely preferred word usage. Swiss high German doesn't have the ß; they use ss. And some words are different - in German they use the verb parken, in Switzerland parkieren.

But Swiss German is a dialect, with different grammar rules (e.g. you don't say "I went" or "I ate lunch", you say "I have been" and "I have eaten lunch") and vocabulary (like gallereti* for a wrist watch - from the French "Quelle heure est-il?"), with different vocabulary in practically every village. In some ways, Swiss German is closer to English grammar than high German. Swiss German dialects are similar to the dialects spoken in Germany, but are spoken far more widely outside of formal settings.

* This happens the other way around. The French word for a skylight is "un vasistas" - straight from German "Was ist das?" = "What is that?".
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

German is in fact English spoken backwards, or vice versa.

The Awful German Language

Comment

WGAFF?

Comment

Working...
                      X