CONs of not living in the UK CONs of not living in the UK - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 45

Fingers like lightning

RasputinDude is good enough for Jehovah!

German food is not the best, it's true. But the bread here is much better than anything you can buy in blighty

More fingers than teeth

darmstadt is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    You live in Germany, so that's already a fairly low bar...
    Well if people think Greggs is the bollocks then British eating habits have really gone downhill
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Contractor Among Contractors

Scoobos has more data than eek

Well, to go on topic :

I've worked in over 10 different countries in the past 20 years. I'm now back in the UK and the grass is always greener.

Things i missed were

Banter
    Real Ale
    Pies.

Only the aussies come close , with their excellent pies and banter! Shame about the racism and isolation.

Things i miss from overseas are

Lack of class system
    Moderate politics
    Low cost of living and high wages / general standard of living.

Countries / Cities I never want to go back to : USA , Calgary in Canada. Canada is prob my fave country tho.

Fingers like lightning

RasputinDude is good enough for Jehovah!

Things i missed were

Banter
    Real Ale
    Pies.
    Oh yes. And, of course...

Bacon. Proper bacon.

My post count is Majestic

SueEllen is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by darmstadt View Post
    Well if people think Greggs is the bollocks then British eating habits have really gone downhill
    No we know Greggs is tulip. But Subway is tulip. When I've eaten Subway I always puzzled why it doesn't taste like a proper roll. Greggs rolls taste better and that's saying a lot when the UK has independent sandwich shops/delis/cafes that make decent rolls and sandwiches.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Super poster

fullyautomatix is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobos View Post
    Well, to go on topic :

I've worked in over 10 different countries in the past 20 years. I'm now back in the UK and the grass is always greener.

Things i missed were

Banter
    Real Ale
    Pies.

Only the aussies come close , with their excellent pies and banter! Shame about the racism and isolation.

Things i miss from overseas are

Lack of class system
    Moderate politics
    Low cost of living and high wages / general standard of living.

Countries / Cities I never want to go back to : USA , Calgary in Canada. Canada is prob my fave country tho.
    Out of interest, why would you not go back to USA ?

I have considered immigrating to either USA or Canada frequently, but just not sure if I can adapt.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Super poster

fullyautomatix is NOT a disguised employee

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    No we know Greggs is tulip. But Subway is tulip. When I've eaten Subway I always puzzled why it doesn't taste like a proper roll. Greggs rolls taste better and that's saying a lot when the UK has independent sandwich shops/delis/cafes that make decent rolls and sandwiches.
    Greggs and Subway are both really horrible. Greggs seems to have become suddenly very popular after they started selling the vegan sausage roll and the vegan steak bake. Suddenly the snowflake vegan generation thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and laid siege to every Greggs shop in the country.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Quote Originally Posted by RasputinDude View Post
    Oh yes. And, of course...

Bacon. Proper bacon.
    How could i forget that one, my wife paid 15 KYD for a 6 pack of unsmoked, once a month, as a treat. I think that was more than 10 pounds in our money!

Quote Originally Posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Out of interest, why would you not go back to USA ?

I have considered immigrating to either USA or Canada frequently, but just not sure if I can adapt.
    Politics.

The western side is much better , or the north - but in my line of work, there's no money over there.

The USA in general is the polar opposite to my personal views on life and politics , so I had to leave. The racism , arrogance and just plain ignorance is unbearable.
    I literally saw people die in the winter, out in the snow at minus figures, with everyone just walking past them. To be homeless in America is incredibly easy, especially if you have disabilities or are a veteran. All that and then people talk in the office about how great a country it is and how its the land of opportunity.

I also had an argument with an immigration officer in Alaska at the Skagway border, because he asked my Swiss colleague if he had Nazi stolen gold and whether his family had killed any jews. (just at a normal everyday border crossing!). Now, every time I travel through the USA , even 15 years later - I get detained and asked questions in a room before I can move on - for "random checks".

Canada though, is mana from the heavens for me.

A side note, I'd say just get a working holiday visa (if you are able to) and get a job out there for a year - you don't have to emigrate as a permanent decision, dip your toe in and see what you think. If you can't get a working visa, consider looking and applying for jobs - Canada is very welcoming and open and you'll prob be able to get a short term gig to have a look .

Fingers like lightning

edison has more data than eek

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobos View Post
    Politics.

The western side is much better , or the north - but in my line of work, there's no money over there.

The USA in general is the polar opposite to my personal views on life and politics , so I had to leave. The racism , arrogance and just plain ignorance is unbearable.
    I literally saw people die in the winter, out in the snow at minus figures, with everyone just walking past them. To be homeless in America is incredibly easy, especially if you have disabilities or are a veteran. All that and then people talk in the office about how great a country it is and how its the land of opportunity.

I also had an argument with an immigration officer in Alaska at the Skagway border, because he asked my Swiss colleague if he had Nazi stolen gold and whether his family had killed any jews. (just at a normal everyday border crossing!). Now, every time I travel through the USA , even 15 years later - I get detained and asked questions in a room before I can move on - for "random checks".

Canada though, is mana from the heavens for me.

A side note, I'd say just get a working holiday visa (if you are able to) and get a job out there for a year - you don't have to emigrate as a permanent decision, dip your toe in and see what you think. If you can't get a working visa, consider looking and applying for jobs - Canada is very welcoming and open and you'll prob be able to get a short term gig to have a look .
    I travelled a lot in the USA up until about 2003 but refuse to go there any more for the same reasons. Australia wasn't that much different either from my experience (minus the snow.)