• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CONs of not living in the UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German food is not the best, it's true. But the bread here is much better than anything you can buy in blighty

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
      You live in Germany, so that's already a fairly low bar...
      Well if people think Greggs is the bollocks then British eating habits have really gone downhill
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Well, to go on topic :

I've worked in over 10 different countries in the past 20 years. I'm now back in the UK and the grass is always greener.

Things i missed were

Banter
        Real Ale
        Pies.

Only the aussies come close , with their excellent pies and banter! Shame about the racism and isolation.

Things i miss from overseas are

Lack of class system
        Moderate politics
        Low cost of living and high wages / general standard of living.

Countries / Cities I never want to go back to : USA , Calgary in Canada. Canada is prob my fave country tho.

Comment

Things i missed were

Banter
          Real Ale
          Pies.
          Oh yes. And, of course...

Bacon. Proper bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Well if people think Greggs is the bollocks then British eating habits have really gone downhill
            No we know Greggs is tulip. But Subway is tulip. When I've eaten Subway I always puzzled why it doesn't taste like a proper roll. Greggs rolls taste better and that's saying a lot when the UK has independent sandwich shops/delis/cafes that make decent rolls and sandwiches.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
              Well, to go on topic :

I've worked in over 10 different countries in the past 20 years. I'm now back in the UK and the grass is always greener.

Things i missed were

Banter
              Real Ale
              Pies.

Only the aussies come close , with their excellent pies and banter! Shame about the racism and isolation.

Things i miss from overseas are

Lack of class system
              Moderate politics
              Low cost of living and high wages / general standard of living.

Countries / Cities I never want to go back to : USA , Calgary in Canada. Canada is prob my fave country tho.
              Out of interest, why would you not go back to USA ?

I have considered immigrating to either USA or Canada frequently, but just not sure if I can adapt.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                No we know Greggs is tulip. But Subway is tulip. When I've eaten Subway I always puzzled why it doesn't taste like a proper roll. Greggs rolls taste better and that's saying a lot when the UK has independent sandwich shops/delis/cafes that make decent rolls and sandwiches.
                Greggs and Subway are both really horrible. Greggs seems to have become suddenly very popular after they started selling the vegan sausage roll and the vegan steak bake. Suddenly the snowflake vegan generation thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and laid siege to every Greggs shop in the country.
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
                  Oh yes. And, of course...

Bacon. Proper bacon.
                  How could i forget that one, my wife paid 15 KYD for a 6 pack of unsmoked, once a month, as a treat. I think that was more than 10 pounds in our money!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Out of interest, why would you not go back to USA ?

I have considered immigrating to either USA or Canada frequently, but just not sure if I can adapt.
                    Politics.

The western side is much better , or the north - but in my line of work, there's no money over there.

The USA in general is the polar opposite to my personal views on life and politics , so I had to leave. The racism , arrogance and just plain ignorance is unbearable.
                    I literally saw people die in the winter, out in the snow at minus figures, with everyone just walking past them. To be homeless in America is incredibly easy, especially if you have disabilities or are a veteran. All that and then people talk in the office about how great a country it is and how its the land of opportunity.

I also had an argument with an immigration officer in Alaska at the Skagway border, because he asked my Swiss colleague if he had Nazi stolen gold and whether his family had killed any jews. (just at a normal everyday border crossing!). Now, every time I travel through the USA , even 15 years later - I get detained and asked questions in a room before I can move on - for "random checks".

Canada though, is mana from the heavens for me.

A side note, I'd say just get a working holiday visa (if you are able to) and get a job out there for a year - you don't have to emigrate as a permanent decision, dip your toe in and see what you think. If you can't get a working visa, consider looking and applying for jobs - Canada is very welcoming and open and you'll prob be able to get a short term gig to have a look .

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                      Politics.

The western side is much better , or the north - but in my line of work, there's no money over there.

The USA in general is the polar opposite to my personal views on life and politics , so I had to leave. The racism , arrogance and just plain ignorance is unbearable.
                      I literally saw people die in the winter, out in the snow at minus figures, with everyone just walking past them. To be homeless in America is incredibly easy, especially if you have disabilities or are a veteran. All that and then people talk in the office about how great a country it is and how its the land of opportunity.

I also had an argument with an immigration officer in Alaska at the Skagway border, because he asked my Swiss colleague if he had Nazi stolen gold and whether his family had killed any jews. (just at a normal everyday border crossing!). Now, every time I travel through the USA , even 15 years later - I get detained and asked questions in a room before I can move on - for "random checks".

Canada though, is mana from the heavens for me.

A side note, I'd say just get a working holiday visa (if you are able to) and get a job out there for a year - you don't have to emigrate as a permanent decision, dip your toe in and see what you think. If you can't get a working visa, consider looking and applying for jobs - Canada is very welcoming and open and you'll prob be able to get a short term gig to have a look .
                      I travelled a lot in the USA up until about 2003 but refuse to go there any more for the same reasons. Australia wasn't that much different either from my experience (minus the snow.)

Comment

Working...
                      X