• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dreadful article let's dispel some myths in this anti contractor environment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dreadful article let's dispel some myths in this anti contractor environment

Recently came across this god awful article on contractors and the magic money tree.

The Slow Death of an IT Contracting Career - Beware

Dreadful article, couple of things

- Who works 50 weeks of the year? Contractors need holidays and don't get paid for bank, holidays sick and Christmas more like 47 if you're lucky.

- Contractors have lean periods factor that over a 5 ears and average becomes 42 weeks a year if your lucky. I've had three months looking for work.

- Contractors don't get a pension, minimum 4% employer contribution let's knock off another 2 weeks.

- So 40 weeks on average over 5 years.

- So looks like £2000 x 40 weeks which is £80K.

For that you work like a dog, you work hard and long hours, no training, uncertainty, stress. You bring masses of experience, you deliver at pace and if you don't your out simple.

The equivalent full time job at that level is probably £80k, I've just been offered that.

Move to General please.

Comment

It's 4 years old - meh
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Spamming the professional forums.

Comment

Oh the unending tedium....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shackattack View Post
            Recently came across this god awful article on contractors and the magic money tree.

- Who works 50 weeks of the year? Contractors need holidays and don't get paid for bank, holidays sick and Christmas more like 47 if you're lucky.

- Contractors have lean periods factor that over a 5 ears and average becomes 42 weeks a year if your lucky. I've had three months looking for work.

- Contractors don't get a pension, minimum 4% employer contribution let's knock off another 2 weeks.

For that you work like a dog, you work hard and long hours, no training, uncertainty, stress. You bring masses of experience, you deliver at pace and if you don't your out simple.

The equivalent full time job at that level is probably £80k, I've just been offered that.
            £2k a week. Is that all?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              £2k a week. Is that all?

3 years ago it was a day rate

Comment

Given that the pole choker sector of the labour market is holding up so buoyantly, why all the whining?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Oh the unending tedium....
                  Crap Mods.
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

by that calculation even if 2k a week equals 80k perm you would have worked 40 weeks instead of 52 weeks - That means three month hoiday a year - That has to be worth seomthing surely

Comment

Working...
                    X