• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dreadful article let's dispel some myths in this anti contractor environment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mods can we add the URL to the spam filter please to stop these threads happening?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

This is my take ...

Originally posted by Shackattack View Post
      Dreadful article, couple of things

- Who works 50 weeks of the year? Contractors need holidays and don't get paid for bank, holidays sick and Christmas more like 47 if you're lucky.
      When I started contracting I would work the contract and didn't take time off. I guess as a new contractor I had that fear that I wouldn't find another one directly afterwards and hence worked without breaks.

If the contract was 6 months, or 12 months, I'd work through. So yes, some contractors do work 50 weeks a year (at least in the initial years of contracting)

- Contractors have lean periods factor that over a 5 ears and average becomes 42 weeks a year if your lucky. I've had three months looking for work.
      Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had forced lean periods. If anything I'm approached and offered my next contract before I've finished the current one. Probably due to the field I work in (Financial/Accounting Systems) so always in demand. So, I'm still at 50 weeks a year working (if I choose to)

- Contractors don't get a pension, minimum 4% employer contribution let's knock off another 2 weeks.
      It's built into the day rate. When I was working 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, I was dumping the max into my pension (via the LTD so with all the (legal) tax benefits).

For that you work like a dog, you work hard and long hours, no training, uncertainty, stress. You bring masses of experience, you deliver at pace and if you don't your out simple.

The equivalent full time job at that level is probably £80k, I've just been offered that.
      I work no harder as a contractor than I do as a permie. In fact, I'd argue I work less hours. Permies work extra hours, for no extra pay, to please their bosses at the annual review. As a contractor, if the client wants me to work extra hours on a frequent basis then it's going to cost them.

I do agree that if I don't deliver then I'd be out the door but this has never happened to me.

As for an £80k perm job ... nothing wrong with that. If someone wants to climb the greasy pole, likes the security of a perm job, then that's a decent salary especially if the other half is also earning.

See ... serious response
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
        This is my take ...

When I started contracting I would work the contract and didn't take time off. I guess as a new contractor I had that fear that I wouldn't find another one directly afterwards and hence worked without breaks.

If the contract was 6 months, or 12 months, I'd work through. So yes, some contractors do work 50 weeks a year (at least in the initial years of contracting)

Maybe I'm lucky but I've never had forced lean periods. If anything I'm approached and offered my next contract before I've finished the current one. Probably due to the field I work in (Financial/Accounting Systems) so always in demand. So, I'm still at 50 weeks a year working (if I choose to)

It's built into the day rate. When I was working 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, I was dumping the max into my pension (via the LTD so with all the (legal) tax benefits).

I work no harder as a contractor than I do as a permie. In fact, I'd argue I work less hours. Permies work extra hours, for no extra pay, to please their bosses at the annual review. As a contractor, if the client wants me to work extra hours on a frequent basis then it's going to cost them.

I do agree that if I don't deliver then I'd be out the door but this has never happened to me.

As for an £80k perm job ... nothing wrong with that. If someone wants to climb the greasy pole, likes the security of a perm job, then that's a decent salary especially if the other half is also earning.

See ... serious response
        Thanks this is very helpful indeed

Have you toyed with perm contractor conversion numbers before

If yes can you indicate what they would be - I mean what is your current day rate and what would yo uneed to convert to perm

Comment

Originally posted by LondonPM1 View Post
          Thanks this is very helpful indeed

Have you toyed with perm contractor conversion numbers before

If yes can you indicate what they would be - I mean what is your current day rate and what would yo uneed to convert to perm
          No, but that's because I'm happy with my situation. I don't contract for the money, I do it for the flexibility. Currently only working 2 days a week and that pays the bills; I don't 'need' to work any more. I might switch next time to more days a week and less months a year but don't need to make that decision just yet.

Even if perm paid more I'd still prefer contracting. I closed my LTD a couple of years ago and now either work via umbrella or FTCs. I have nothing against perms, but my lifestyle is better suited to contracting and the flexibility I get with this way of working.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            No, but that's because I'm happy with my situation. I don't contract for the money, I do it for the flexibility. Currently only working 2 days a week and that pays the bills; I don't 'need' to work any more. I might switch next time to more days a week and less months a year but don't need to make that decision just yet.

Even if perm paid more I'd still prefer contracting. I closed my LTD a couple of years ago and now either work via umbrella or FTCs. I have nothing against perms, but my lifestyle is better suited to contracting and the flexibility I get with this way of working.
            Seems to be quite a lot of contradictions with Worty, works 50 weeks a year, now wait 2 days a week.

Back to my original question why are there so many anti-contractors on here, Why are they so jeolous? Contracting is a natural progression. Off course you are not an employee but even with abhorrently expensive, ineffective agencies they integrate themselves in the office, the work side by side and then and only then are they half decent. (i use that term loosely)

Comment

Seems to be quite a lot of contradictions with Worty, works 50 weeks a year, now wait 2 days a week.

Back to my original question why are there so many anti-contractors on here, Why are they so jeolous? Contracting is a natural progression. Off course you are not an employee but even with abhorrently expensive, ineffective agencies they integrate themselves in the office, the work side by side and then and only then are they half decent. (i use that term loosely)
              There aren't any anti-contractors on here.

There are just contractors and ex-contractors.

(And you need to respond to this very carefully...)
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

It's perfectly feasible to work 2 days a week for 50 weeks of the year.

And it's:
                Whorty
                jealous
                of
                Last edited by ladymuck; 21 September 2020, 13:32. Reason: having fun being a pedant

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

And it's:
                  Whorty
                  jealous
                  of
                  Shackattack is the sharpest tool (although he is definitely a tool).

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

And it's:
                    Whorty
                    jealous
                    of
                    If not onsite or in the office, which is about 5140 miles away, then I only work 4 hours a day so about 2 days a week although I would have no idea if I work 50 weeks a year, probably not...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I think the old folk dont want the young ones to take their jobs! Its a bit of a old boys club like cambridge or eaton is. So there is always this pretence that they are far superior

Dont worry though - Time usually fixes that

Comment

Working...
                      X