• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sockies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Always wondered that myself. I get that some people find them mildly interesting for awhile but if it's from the Gricer stable it always ends the same way, benign posts for awhile, becomes a pain and ends up annoying most on the forum and a long delay before mods finally pull the trigger. The fact they won't pull the trigger early enough means the sockie causes more harm than good. My question would be, if you are going allow them to post while they are interesting why will the mods not get rid the minute it doesn't. Why do you give a sockie the benefit of the doubt? How does that help as it always ends up being banned anyway?
    I just don't get why they are allowed full stop. Even if they are entertaining for a bit, why can't the posters stick to their 'real' user IDs rather than having to resort to a sockie.

For me, if someone is banned they are banned for a reason - allowing them to create a sockie and post as that user negates the whole point of banning someone.

Sockies are pushing out good posters/members - do we want to lose good posters just to allow a few idiots to troll.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      I just don't get why they are allowed full stop. Even if they are entertaining for a bit, why can't the posters stick to their 'real' user IDs rather than having to resort to a sockie.

For me, if someone is banned they are banned for a reason - allowing them to create a sockie and post as that user negates the whole point of banning someone.

Sockies are pushing out good posters/members - do we want to lose good posters just to allow a few idiots to troll.
      Hark at her!

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

It's not so much the sockies, as the replacement accounts. Take a poster like churchy - vile antisemitic turd by any measure. Permabanned, but then allowed to resurface as Triggenare. It's crappy forum administration.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
          It's not so much the sockies, as the replacement accounts. Take a poster like churchy - vile antisemitic turd by any measure. Permabanned, but then allowed to resurface as Triggenare. It's crappy forum administration.
          Ok, how would you stop this?

I'll help you out: you can't.

VPNs will hide IPs and people can make up whatever tag they like. The only mitigation is guess work based on the content of posts.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post

VPNs will hide IPs and people can make up whatever tag they like. The only mitigation is guess work based on the content of posts.
            I'll help you out: you answered your own question.

Day 1 - you can't stop it. But when it becomes evident, action could be taken, but it isn't.

Comment

I'll help you out: you answered your own question.

Day 1 - you can't stop it. But when it becomes evident, action could be taken, but it isn't.
              Your mitigation relies on Sockies being stupid. Well done.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Hark at her!

Comment

Your mitigation relies on Sockies being stupid. Well done.
                  Well it works with Churchy / Triggenare, so you may be right.

Comment

True ... I kind of think of the new account as a sockie, but you're right - in this case it's a replacement account. If someone is banned then it's for a reason and it does seem strange that the same person can just create a new account and CUK allow that.

Comment

True, but once identified there should be an immediate ban of new account. If a person is permabanned, then surely that ban should continue irrespective of the name they post under? If not, then why ban someone in the first place?

Comment

Working...
                      X