• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hospitals failing to patch their kit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hospitals failing to patch their kit?

Doesn't just happen to the NHS. And an hour long wait for a doctor? Surely that doesn't happen outside the UK too? Shocked, I tell you.

Woman dies after hospital is unable to treat her during crippling ransomware infection, cops launch probe • The Register

I am not up to date on current ransomware and I don't know if there are relevant patches. However, going back ten years, I was consulting on security issues and I traced viruses across the network, and with the help of the HR database managed to find the unknowing culprits. The issues turned out to be that some PCs were showing to be patched when in fact the patch had failed. Doctors and nurses were sharing login sessions to save the bother logging in and out. Doctors on night shift had brought in USB sticks with games on them but also virus infected. Fortunately, the ransomware attack never worked because back-up snapshots were taken every ten minutes.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Pretty tulip. No doubt they are in a country where there is almost no possibility of extradition.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        Pretty tulip. No doubt they are in a country where there is almost no possibility of extradition.
        What's the problem? They're only breaking the law in a specific and limited way.

Comment

I requested a login and permissions to a platform used my the NHS the other day.

The manager forwarded it to her deputy who sent me her username and password and told me to set myself up.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            I requested a login and permissions to a platform used my the NHS the other day.

The manager forwarded it to her deputy who sent me her username and password and told me to set myself up.
            On a serious note, I think contractors owe a duty of care to their client. In these circumstances, I would set my account up but also email the deputy outlining why it is not good practice.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Yeah, I said you might not want to do stuff like that.

IN fact all my emails during the conversation contained some kind of privacy comment, "I don't want to see that", "I shouldn't be seeing that", " I'll get you to do that part". And then I get sent the login.

They know it's wrong, they just dont know how to do what they should know. So it's a time and training issue.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Yeah, I said you might not want to do stuff like that.

IN fact all my emails during the conversation contained some kind of privacy comment, "I don't want to see that", "I shouldn't be seeing that", " I'll get you to do that part". And then I get sent the login.

They know it's wrong, they just dont know how to do what they should know. So it's a time and training issue.
                I think it's also a culture problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  I think it's also a culture problem.
                  Yeah, the username wasn't the same name as the deputy or manager, and the password of the user was a first name with a 1 on the end, and it wasn't even the first name of the user, deputy or manager.

Comment

Working...
                  X