What's happened since you joined CUK? What's happened since you joined CUK? - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 82

bored now

eek is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I could get from NL to the South of England quicker than getting from the North of England to the South.
    Why do you think I was and am happy to fly around Europe - it was less hassle than getting to sodding Reading... I used to be able to get to Copenhagen for lunch at 11:30...
    Last edited by eek; 22nd September 2020 at 10:12.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Double Godlike!

ladymuck has reached the peak. Play again?

I joined 15 years ago

I used to drink vodka but learned to drink gin. I've had 18 contracts (one of which was with 4 different agencies!) Bought my car in 2008. Dropped a partner in 2012, picked up the current one in 2016. Went for a recce to NZ in 2013 with a view to moving away for a few years but decided it was too quiet for me. Instead I moved to London in 2014, selling a ropey house in Sussex and swapping it for a rental in Kensington. I am now on my second rental and very happy I moved. I joined PCG, it became IPSE, I joined the CC, was sad to see it disbanded, left IPSE. I am grateful to IPSE/the CC for introducing me to HWMBO

bored now

eek is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I joined 15 years ago

I used to drink vodka but learned to drink gin. I've had 18 contracts (one of which was with 4 different agencies!) Bought my car in 2008. Dropped a partner in 2012, picked up the current one in 2016. Went for a recce to NZ in 2013 with a view to moving away for a few years but decided it was too quiet for me. Instead I moved to London in 2014, selling a ropey house in Sussex and swapping it for a rental in Kensington. I am now on my second rental and very happy I moved. I joined PCG, it became IPSE, I joined the CC, was sad to see it disbanded, left IPSE. I am grateful to IPSE/the CC for introducing me to HWMBO
    So we finally have 2 good things from IPSE - Arctic's S660 validation and your relationship...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

More fingers than teeth

xoggoth is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I was old, miserable and a bit of a when I joined.. What's changed? A lot more people know I'm old, miserable and a bit of a .. HTH
    We are kindred spirits!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere is always on top

Since August 2007...

One sprog married, left home and provided two grandchildren so far.
    Two other sprogs became adults and Swiss, and still in further education.
    Went from one full-time contract to multiple concurrent clients on part-time basis for each of them, developed a product for a client for a share of gross sales income for a few years, worked for a monthly (large) stipend for another client, back to one client, then one client 50% and employee, and come January will have closed my company down (After fifteen years) and be a full-time permie.
    Had cataracts removed
    Was disenfranchised from UK elections
    Visited as a tourist around 12 different countries.
    Learned German
    Learned Swiss German
    Got good at skiing.

Other than that, it's been dreadful!
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

TykeLike

SimonMac is always on top

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I joined 15 years ago

We all did drink a hell of a lot then
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Super poster

Halo Jones is NOT a disguised employee

Turns out I have been loitering in general since 2008!
    In that time, still not done any IT work or become a contractor

But I have:
    Got married – to BGG
    BGG & I brought our 1st home, after renting for a decade or so
    Celebrated 30yrs of being with BGG
    Finished my degree
    Got chartered x3
    Gone as far up the corporate ladder as I want to go
    Learned many new crafting skills
    Discovered WGT in Leipzig & been every year since
    Lost both parents & got diagnosed with cancer..

So all in all, apart from that last one, it’s been a good time
    Growing old is mandatory
    Growing up is optional

Super poster

Whorty - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    A recent thread saw the conversation turn to how long some have been on this site, I've just hit 10 years on CUK when I started contracting to get myself out of a hole I had gotten myself into with debt.

When i signed up my son was 6 months old, 10 years later we are in the process of applying for his place in High school, I have got married and moved house twice. I have lost a very dear family member, and had 15 contracts (as well as two very short unsuccessful attempts are permiedom). I've visited 4 countries (one with a few good denizens of this parish, I have learned to drink and love gin and bared my arse on Bishopgate.

Most importantly I've made some bloody good friends
    Just checked and I only signed up Dec 2014 - I know I referred to the site when I first went contracting late 2007 so I must have been just reading for the first 7 years Some might say that I should have remained that way

Soooo, since joining I've ...

- Had 6 contracts
    - Now work 2 days a week
    - With work I was lucky to travel to USA, Germany, Oz in this period
    - Fell in love with Tim-Tams
    - For fun travel only included Kenya, Spain, France
    - Moved out of London to the sticks
    - I've owned a lake
    - I've done the man thing and driven a small lawnmower tractor (great fun the first few times ... but mowing the lawn is always a chore!!)
    - Seen my wife's health drop off a cliff
    - I've learnt what being a carer means and I have so much more respect now for people who choose this as a career
    - Lost contact with quite a few people as I struggle to get wife out the house now. I've missed the last 3 boys catch-ups in London
    - Learnt how to catch mouse/vole/shrew that my lovely cat has a habit of bringing in (always alive!) - hint, shoe along the wall, they like to stick to the wall and hide in the shoe!
    - Found a passion for cycling and lost quite a bit of timber (I blame the Tim-Tams). Who knew cycle racing in the virtual world of Zwift could be so much fun?
    - Annoyed a lot of people on CUK
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Banned

LondonPM1 doesn't make much sense

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Why do you think I was and am happy to fly around Europe - it was less hassle than getting to sodding Reading... I used to be able to get to Copenhagen for lunch at 11:30...
    You must have worked at the highly successful nordea digital transformation. You know the one they spent nearly 1 billion euros on before writing most of it down

Super poster

fullyautomatix is NOT a disguised employee

Since I joined I have watched DimPrawn, SAS and ScooterScot become overnight millionaires by shrewdly investing in gold, bitcoin and sledges. I ignored them as snake oil salesmen and have remained a poor contractor scratching by on day rates while they are smoking cigars on a yacht somewhere.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !