• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's happened since you joined CUK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I was old, miserable and a bit of a when I joined.. What's changed? A lot more people know I'm old, miserable and a bit of a .. HTH
    I didn't know you was old
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I joined under a dalek username first time and lost access to that account as I lost an email address.

What's happened? I've got older, less fit and less drunken but more cynical.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Changed job
        Changed partner
        Changed house
        Changed gender
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          Changed job
          Changed partner
          Changed house
          Changed gender

Comment

Educated some disinterested yobs for a while.

Retired.

Bored.

Now.

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Was a contractor once, the client moved it to India based on cost (certainly not quality) So after a bit of multi client went to work for an old boss as a permie.

I lasted for nearly a decade working for him before he moved on. Then after 6 boss changes in 7 years they made me redundant.

Got a new permie job (as my technical skills were all legacy systems or ones I didn't want to work on) went through 4 bosses in 11 months and off I went again.

Now I think in those 2 companies every month the bosses draw straws to manage Vetran and his colleagues (I stayed in the same job with mainly the same colleagues throughout).

nearly 2 years at my new job.

3rd child born, middle one doing A levels and oldest at UNI.

Same wife and she seems stuck with me.

2 new houses.

5 different country visits for work.

Bank balance much larger. Mortgage much lower.

Liver considerably worse off.

Just as gorgeous as ever (I started from a lower level than most).
              Last edited by vetran; 22 September 2020, 11:58.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Been contracting since I joined CUK in c 2002. Longest bench time 4 months back around then, and no more than a month since until this year.

But after picking bench splinters out of my buttocks for the last 2 months am starting a new 6 monther next monday.

The rate, £320 a day, is pretty rubbish even for Bristol. But the pimp insists the client were quibbling over pennies, and had interviewed someone else they liked and who was willing to take the gig for £300 a day, and it was touch and go they would choose me. Yeah, right! I gambled that it was the money-grubbing pimp trying to claw a higher margin not the client, and held out, but reluctantly agreed to lower my asking rate from £350 a day, as there was a possibility it was indeed partially the client in these straitened times.

Also, the gig involves new technologies such as Kubernetes and IoT and automated vehicle driving which I'm keen to get into. That's been another feature of my contracting, constantly hopping from one skill to newer ones like a polar bear trying to stay afloat on ever changing and shrinking ice floes! Sometimes I wish all these smart people would stop writing new software and be content with what is already there!
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Been contracting since I joined CUK in c 2002. Longest bench time 4 months back around then, and no more than a month since until this year.

But after picking bench splinters out of my buttocks for the last 2 months am starting a new 6 monther next monday.

The rate, £320 a day, is pretty rubbish even for Bristol. But the pimp insists the client were quibbling over pennies, and had interviewed someone else they liked and who was willing to take the gig for £300 a day, and it was touch and go they would choose me. Yeah, right! I gambled that it was the money-grubbing pimp trying to claw a higher margin not the client, and held out, but reluctantly agreed to lower my asking rate from £350 a day, as there was a possibility it was indeed partially the client in these straitened times.

Also, the gig involves new technologies such as Kubernetes and IoT and automated vehicle driving which I'm keen to get into. That's been another feature of my contracting, constantly hopping from one skill to newer ones like a polar bear trying to stay afloat on ever changing and shrinking ice floes! Sometimes I wish all these smart people would stop writing new software and be content with what is already there!

Money is money. Well done.

Comment

All I need now from you guys n dolls is your mother's maiden name and D.o.B.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      All I need now from you guys n dolls is your mother's maiden name and D.o.B.

All you know about me is that I drink less than when I started on here and do less exercise.

Comment

Working...
                      X