• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's happened since you joined CUK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I could get from NL to the South of England quicker than getting from the North of England to the South.
    Why do you think I was and am happy to fly around Europe - it was less hassle than getting to sodding Reading... I used to be able to get to Copenhagen for lunch at 11:30...
    Last edited by eek; 22 September 2020, 10:12.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I joined 15 years ago

I used to drink vodka but learned to drink gin. I've had 18 contracts (one of which was with 4 different agencies!) Bought my car in 2008. Dropped a partner in 2012, picked up the current one in 2016. Went for a recce to NZ in 2013 with a view to moving away for a few years but decided it was too quiet for me. Instead I moved to London in 2014, selling a ropey house in Sussex and swapping it for a rental in Kensington. I am now on my second rental and very happy I moved. I joined PCG, it became IPSE, I joined the CC, was sad to see it disbanded, left IPSE. I am grateful to IPSE/the CC for introducing me to HWMBO

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I joined 15 years ago

I used to drink vodka but learned to drink gin. I've had 18 contracts (one of which was with 4 different agencies!) Bought my car in 2008. Dropped a partner in 2012, picked up the current one in 2016. Went for a recce to NZ in 2013 with a view to moving away for a few years but decided it was too quiet for me. Instead I moved to London in 2014, selling a ropey house in Sussex and swapping it for a rental in Kensington. I am now on my second rental and very happy I moved. I joined PCG, it became IPSE, I joined the CC, was sad to see it disbanded, left IPSE. I am grateful to IPSE/the CC for introducing me to HWMBO
        So we finally have 2 good things from IPSE - Arctic's S660 validation and your relationship...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I was old, miserable and a bit of a when I joined.. What's changed? A lot more people know I'm old, miserable and a bit of a .. HTH
          We are kindred spirits!
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Since August 2007...

One sprog married, left home and provided two grandchildren so far.
            Two other sprogs became adults and Swiss, and still in further education.
            Went from one full-time contract to multiple concurrent clients on part-time basis for each of them, developed a product for a client for a share of gross sales income for a few years, worked for a monthly (large) stipend for another client, back to one client, then one client 50% and employee, and come January will have closed my company down (After fifteen years) and be a full-time permie.
            Had cataracts removed
            Was disenfranchised from UK elections
            Visited as a tourist around 12 different countries.
            Learned German
            Learned Swiss German
            Got good at skiing.

Other than that, it's been dreadful!
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I joined 15 years ago

We all did drink a hell of a lot then
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Turns out I have been loitering in general since 2008!
                In that time, still not done any IT work or become a contractor

But I have:
                Got married – to BGG
                BGG & I brought our 1st home, after renting for a decade or so
                Celebrated 30yrs of being with BGG
                Finished my degree
                Got chartered x3
                Gone as far up the corporate ladder as I want to go
                Learned many new crafting skills
                Discovered WGT in Leipzig & been every year since
                Lost both parents & got diagnosed with cancer..

So all in all, apart from that last one, it’s been a good time
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  A recent thread saw the conversation turn to how long some have been on this site, I've just hit 10 years on CUK when I started contracting to get myself out of a hole I had gotten myself into with debt.

When i signed up my son was 6 months old, 10 years later we are in the process of applying for his place in High school, I have got married and moved house twice. I have lost a very dear family member, and had 15 contracts (as well as two very short unsuccessful attempts are permiedom). I've visited 4 countries (one with a few good denizens of this parish, I have learned to drink and love gin and bared my arse on Bishopgate.

Most importantly I've made some bloody good friends
                  Just checked and I only signed up Dec 2014 - I know I referred to the site when I first went contracting late 2007 so I must have been just reading for the first 7 years Some might say that I should have remained that way

Soooo, since joining I've ...

- Had 6 contracts
                  - Now work 2 days a week
                  - With work I was lucky to travel to USA, Germany, Oz in this period
                  - Fell in love with Tim-Tams
                  - For fun travel only included Kenya, Spain, France
                  - Moved out of London to the sticks
                  - I've owned a lake
                  - I've done the man thing and driven a small lawnmower tractor (great fun the first few times ... but mowing the lawn is always a chore!!)
                  - Seen my wife's health drop off a cliff
                  - I've learnt what being a carer means and I have so much more respect now for people who choose this as a career
                  - Lost contact with quite a few people as I struggle to get wife out the house now. I've missed the last 3 boys catch-ups in London
                  - Learnt how to catch mouse/vole/shrew that my lovely cat has a habit of bringing in (always alive!) - hint, shoe along the wall, they like to stick to the wall and hide in the shoe!
                  - Found a passion for cycling and lost quite a bit of timber (I blame the Tim-Tams). Who knew cycle racing in the virtual world of Zwift could be so much fun?
                  - Annoyed a lot of people on CUK
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Why do you think I was and am happy to fly around Europe - it was less hassle than getting to sodding Reading... I used to be able to get to Copenhagen for lunch at 11:30...
                    You must have worked at the highly successful nordea digital transformation. You know the one they spent nearly 1 billion euros on before writing most of it down

Comment

Since I joined I have watched DimPrawn, SAS and ScooterScot become overnight millionaires by shrewdly investing in gold, bitcoin and sledges. I ignored them as snake oil salesmen and have remained a poor contractor scratching by on day rates while they are smoking cigars on a yacht somewhere.
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X