• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's happened since you joined CUK?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Winding Barmy, NAT, WTFH & AssGoo up is fun
    I keep coming back for laughs like this. Keep 'em coming.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Great thread!

Really interesting to see other peoples personal experiences.

- Been contracting 8ish years, contemplated returning to perm but don't have the heart.
      - Lost the old man and his sister in the space of two days a few years back.
      - Took a year out while living in a pub ( best 12 months of my life ).
      - Missus got diagnosed with heart failure but waiting for the op to sort her out.
      - Currently on the bench but finally have a few things in the pipeline.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        3 of my children weren't born when I first joined (under a previous name and a previous forum, possibly even two back). They are now all at university.

We had posters like Roger Rabbit and Threaded. We had forum invasions by Cornish farmers. We had, and lost Fleety and doodab others disappeared like HairyArsedBloke and DodgyAgent.

We had Tornado flying scammers with bowls of pasta in their laps.

AtW may finally have got a sofa bed into his flat above Nandos.

I've contracted, been perm and created my own business within this time. Am now back contracting but have a plan B bubbling away.

All in all, MyCo's clients have paid for a reasonable number of hours spent here.
        DodgyAgent died in 2021, complications from Cancer.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Really sorry to hear about Dodgy. Cancer is a bastard.
          England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
            Really sorry to hear about Dodgy. Cancer is a bastard.
            +1
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

One of my fav posters. RIP DA.

Comment

Oh, that’s sad, one of my favourites along with RogerRabbit. (Sorry, missed that post.)
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

RIP DA

Comment

That's sad news. DA had an engaging online presence.
                    Last posted in 2016 talking about Brexit:

https://forums.contractoruk.com/sear...annel%22%5D%7D

Comment

Joined in about 2010 just before my son was born when I got canned from a position because the new CTO wanted to hire his friend and I was on probation.

Got my first contract doing C++ and MFC at an investment bank.
                      Moved to another client for a few years doing trade capture systems before they hired a permie to replace me.
                      Went perm for years because I needed the stability. Reached CTO level for a bit and then jacked it in.
                      Went back to contracting this year in March at a small Blockchain company.
                      That contract is still technically live as I am trying to get the to pain my June invoice but I am now back investment banking again doing C++ and Rust.

Still married to the same woman.
                      Still have two kids.
                      Have moved house once.
                      In laws have calmed down a lot on the religious mania so home life is much more relaxed (father in law is still a creationist).
                      Got hammered at a medieval show in the Czech Republic and fought someone who had a sharp scythe with a sharp sword through a museum. In the same show I hit someone so hard I broke my axe across his head.
                      The melee team I Captain won the British championship a couple of times.
                      Still doing medieval stuff but not quite as enthusiastically after loads of politics and arguing ruined it a fair amount.
                      Grew a beard too.
                      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
                      X