• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OK, who was this??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, who was this??

Internet: Old TV caused village broadband outages for 18 months - BBC News

PC is a village idiot. Ask him.

Comment

Had a similar problem here. Our internet connection went extremely flaky for a while and the ISP couldn't find anything and then we found out that other people in the apartment block had the same problem, even with different ISPs. Eventually we go the Bundesnetzagentur (Federal Network Agency) involved who came around with some high tech gear and pinpointed exactly where the problem was. An old lady in the block had a dodgy power supply for her cable modem which was causing interference. Once she replaced it with an official one, all was okay.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Broadband: Understanding REIN and SHINE (adsl, broadband, interferrence, intermittent, rein, shine)

So a single burst of noise knocks out the broadband for an entire village.

That's handy to know.

So what happens if some oik with a 100W amp on his CB comes along?

Ah.

I don't think they exist any more.

Carry on, nothing to see here.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          Broadband: Understanding REIN and SHINE (adsl, broadband, interferrence, intermittent, rein, shine)

So a single burst of noise knocks out the broadband for an entire village.

That's handy to know.

So what happens if some oik with a 100W amp on his CB comes along?

Ah.

I don't think they exist any more.

Carry on, nothing to see here.
          I'll take a bet that you've got one <or several> buried away somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensible Comment on ElReg
            How far?
            Assuming that this TV is emitting some spurious radiation then I assume it predates EMC testing.

If that is the case then it would not be a digital TV, although it could have an external converter.

Even if the TV is the real cause then just how close was this TV to the BT cables?

As the inverse square law drops the signal level by the square of the distance then the cable must has been very, very close to have this affect.

Alternatively, the BT equipment is not EMC compliant in regard to susceptibility.

If that is the case then almost any equipment in that village will knock the system out.

Which leads me to my final comment; why didn't the equipment recover after each 7am spike?
            Perzactly.

Everything's been emissions & susceptibility tested for 25 years or more, WTF is wrong with BT's equipment that it can't cope?

Ancient tellie borked broadband for entire Welsh village • The Register Forums

All rounded of with "Intercourse the penguin".

It was probably less the old TV than the unexploded penguin on top of it.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 September 2020, 12:23.

Comment

Still got an ancient video sender. Many years ago I tried it out and it completely blocked the digital TV signal, stopped the missus from watching Strictly Come Dancing. Maybe I'll dig it out and see if I can knock out my neighbours' Broadband.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I've got one of those too.

Dreadful thing, another of China's finest products.

Looked at the output on a spectrum analyser and it was all over the shop, certainly not in Band IV or Band V, though it was doing a fine job at about 350MHz.

The £1000 fine for use put me off a bit & I used at 2.4GHz one instead.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                  I'll take a bet that you've got one <or several> buried away somewhere.
                  Was going to say the same. I'm sure there's at least one in my attic....Time to take out some broadband....
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X