• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    now we are so far into furlough we should start retraining people to do other jobs in the industries that face major redundancies.

It will be like the coal miners all over again the writing is on the wall in a big fecking neon sign but for decades the ones that don't escape will blame the Tories.

An investment of a £1-2K retraining as a Green deal technician, security guard, Truck Driver, customs officer, Health worker or IT technician etc. Would be a good idea. I would start with the companies who managed to mis claim furlough.

Hundreds report employers to HMRC over furlough fraud - Personnel Today
    Fruit picking, jam production, and noshing European lorry drivers in Kent.

Customs officer is daft, because Brexit is going to remove red tape.

Comment

BBL - 10 years now

Get in

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Furlough 2.0 will look very different and will cost a lot less if the briefings/leaks are to be believed. You’re looking at a few hundred million per month in wage subsidies vs. several billions on furlough. Unemployment is going to spike bigly either way and larger firms will already have put staff on 45 days notice. The next deadline is 1 October for 30 days, which is what they’re aiming for.
        The furlough scheme so far has cost about £40bn. The cost of HS2 is estimated to be £55+bn (and given how government projects run we know it will far exceed this). So, in the scheme of things, given how the furlough has helped it's not been too expensive (relative to a single project).

News alert - looks like current furlough scheme is ending anyway.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Gold may well hold its purchasing power through deflation, but not its value i.e. spot price. I still expect the dollar shortage to drive up demand to silly levels even in the face of deflation.

3-month chart seems very bearish to me.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Fruit picking, jam production, and noshing European lorry drivers in Kent.

wow your CV is short!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It will be like the coal miners all over again the writing is on the wall in a big fecking neon sign but for decades the ones that don't escape will blame the Tories.
              This is a crisis. Get me two pencils and a pair of underpants.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                This is a crisis. Get me two pencils and a pair of underpants.

Sounds about right, I was chatting to a teenager from Durham and she was telling me that she still hears people complaining about the coal mines closing. Her parents are first generation Ghanaian immigrant care workers and she is off to University, if they can find work having come across the world and send their kids to Uni what excuse do the natives have?

Comment

Sounds about right, I was chatting to a teenager from Durham and she was telling me that she still hears people complaining about the coal mines closing. Her parents are first generation Ghanaian immigrant care workers and she is off to University, if they can find work having come across the world and send their kids to Uni what excuse do the natives have?
                  That's unfair.

Immigrants have get up and go.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Now you're asking the right questions.

Agreed with Vetran. I feel dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      That's unfair.

Many Immigrants have get up and go.
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X