• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Furlough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet the stock market is still 6000

Beggars belief it’s not crashed

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Well I suppose the company could have just made everyone redundant and gone into liquidation which would, in the long run, cost the taxpayer more
      Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      Sounds like 40-60% gravy.

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        This is just your tortured imagination trying to reshape reality. I read that "people" are expecting deflation more than they're expecting inflation. Mind you, IIRC, you refuse to accept that gold is a hedge against deflation as well as against inflation.
        Oh I can't wait for you to see what happens to the price of gold when we enter a period of deflation I really can't. Where's me time machine.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Yet the stock market is still 6000

Beggars belief it’s not crashed

The FTSE100 is almost 25% down since January and lower than it was in 1998. Hardly a rip roaring success. As one financial analyst put it, it's now full of low or no growth businesses and other dull plodders. The USA has the likes of Amazon, Apple, Google, Facebook, Tesla, Paypal, Netflix and NVIDIA in the top 20 most valuable companies.

The UK has Shell, HSBC, British American Tobacco, National Grid, Vodafone and Tesco in our top 20...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            This is just your tortured imagination trying to reshape reality. I read that "people" are expecting deflation more than they're expecting inflation. Mind you, IIRC, you refuse to accept that gold is a hedge against deflation as well as against inflation.

You read that huh.... source?
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Furlough 2.0 will look very different and will cost a lot less if the briefings/leaks are to be believed. You’re looking at a few hundred million per month in wage subsidies vs. several billions on furlough. Unemployment is going to spike bigly either way and larger firms will already have put staff on 45 days notice. The next deadline is 1 October for 30 days, which is what they’re aiming for.

Comment

let's all look at the bright side. maybe going through this we'll get a fairer system and a more honest way for people selling their labour.
                everyone around here probably agrees that what we have now it's nonsense and plenty of jobs are modern wage slaves.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Oh I can't wait for you to see what happens to the price of gold when we enter a period of deflation I really can't. Where's me time machine.
                  LMGTFY

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    You read that huh.... source?
                    LMGTFY

Comment

now we are so far into furlough we should start retraining people to do other jobs in the industries that face major redundancies.

It will be like the coal miners all over again the writing is on the wall in a big fecking neon sign but for decades the ones that don't escape will blame the Tories.

An investment of a £1-2K retraining as a Green deal technician, security guard, Truck Driver, customs officer, Health worker or IT technician etc. Would be a good idea. I would start with the companies who managed to mis claim furlough.

Hundreds report employers to HMRC over furlough fraud - Personnel Today
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X