• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Croydon Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloody snowflakes.

My wife was based in Croydonia (as she calls it) for about 8 years. Tram from Beckenham then walk from East Croydon to the top of the High Street.

I'd meet her after work most Fridays and we'd spend the evening drinking in Croydon, often ending up in the Wheelwright Pub (now sadly closed) for lockins.

Just told my wife your stories ... her quote ... "you're all gutless wimps"

But then, she is a tough cookie so Croydon doesn't phase her
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Bloody snowflakes.

My wife was based in Croydonia (as she calls it) for about 8 years. Tram from Beckenham then walk from East Croydon to the top of the High Street.

I'd meet her after work most Fridays and we'd spend the evening drinking in Croydon, often ending up in the Wheelwright Pub (now sadly closed) for lockins.

On the other hand, my Mrs likes me to come home of a weekend not find out I've been stabbed for my laptop. Sometimes it's best just to read the atmospherics and drop your pride

Comment

Bloody snowflakes.

Crime In My Area - Interactive UK Crime Map | ADT

Croydon in last 12 only. The total overloaded my calculator.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Bloody snowflakes.

I worked for a year in Croydon in the late 90s. I didn't think it was that bad but it's long had a reputation for crime.

I worked for a spell in Wood Green in the north London borough of Haringey. The junction outside the office was in the top 10 crime locations in London. One consultant working there was attacked in a nearby car park and had a knife pulled out on them. It's also the only place I'm aware of that had someone walk into a police station, jump over the counter and stab a police officer as part of a gang initiation.

Now that's where you might need a taxi at night!

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
            I worked for a year in Croydon in the late 90s. I didn't think it was that bad but it's long had a reputation for crime.

I worked for a spell in Wood Green in the north London borough of Haringey. The junction outside the office was in the top 10 crime locations in London. One consultant working there was attacked in a nearby car park and had a knife pulled out on them. It's also the only place I'm aware of that had someone walk into a police station, jump over the counter and stab a police officer as part of a gang initiation.

Now that's where you might need a taxi at night!
            Gotta love Wood Green. The Tollgate 'spoons at Turnpike Lane is one of only two pubs I've ever been barred from.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Gotta love Wood Green. The Tollgate 'spoons at Turnpike Lane is one of only two pubs I've ever been barred from.
              Rapidly gentrifying though. You can't really buy even a small 3 bed house there now for less than £500k and as soon as you start going just a few hundred yards up the road towards Alexandra Palace station, you're looking at 600-700k.

I went back there recently and one of the pubs I used to go into right by Wood Green tube had been closed after someone was murdered there.

Comment

Rapidly gentrifying though. You can't really buy even a small 3 bed house there now for less than £500k and as soon as you start going just a few hundred yards up the road towards Alexandra Palace station, you're looking at 600-700k.

I went back there recently and one of the pubs I used to go into right by Wood Green tube had been closed after someone was murdered there.
                That is gentrification. Back in the day, you'd be lucky if they pushed a mop around the floor after a murder.

Comment

That is gentrification. Back in the day, you'd be lucky if they pushed a mop around the floor after a murder.
                  There's even a Japanese restaurant now in an 'arts hotel' a few doors down from where the murder in the pub was.

I still wouldn't look someone in the eye around there though. Just before lockdown I was in the Sainsburys near the tube and there was a bit of commotion behind me. A young girl was threatening to come back and stab a security guard and a staff member. She was only 13-14 years old.

Comment

There's even a Japanese restaurant now in an 'arts hotel' a few doors down from where the murder in the pub was.

I still wouldn't look someone in the eye around there though. Just before lockdown I was in the Sainsburys near the tube and there was a bit of commotion behind me. A young girl was threatening to come back and stab a security guard and a staff member. She was only 13-14 years old.
                    How is the Wood Green Cultural Quarter coming along?

Also did they ever remove the 1st Gulf War graffiti "SCUD DEATH TO ALLIES", which had a certain cult following in terms of its pointedness?

Comment

How is the Wood Green Cultural Quarter coming along?

Also did they ever remove the 1st Gulf War graffiti "SCUD DEATH TO ALLIES", which had a certain cult following in terms of its pointedness?
                      I think the Cultural Quarter is coming along slowly. I didn't visit much in my time there recently apart from the Green Rooms arts hotel (which wasn't a bad attempt at a hipster bar) but there is still stuff developing around the old Chocolate Factory. More or less next door was Blue House Yard which is supposed to be akin to Shoreditch Boxpark but again, I never went there (it's fairly small really.) You've only got to see the types of cafes, bars and restaurants etc to see the change. Whether it's cultural in the sense of the arts then I don't know.

I can't recall that graffitti but I have seen similar slogans on stickers stuck in various places near the station.

Comment

Working...
                      X