• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Croydon Again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    I think the Cultural Quarter is coming along slowly. I didn't visit much in my time there recently apart from the Green Rooms arts hotel (which wasn't a bad attempt at a hipster bar) but there is still stuff developing around the old Chocolate Factory. More or less next door was Blue House Yard which is supposed to be akin to Shoreditch Boxpark but again, I never went there (it's fairly small really.) You've only got to see the types of cafes, bars and restaurants etc to see the change. Whether it's cultural in the sense of the arts then I don't know.

I can't recall that graffitti but I have seen similar slogans on stickers stuck in various places near the station.
    You just reminded me - BOXPARK Croydon | Street Food. Drinks. Events. | BOXPARK

See Croydon is up and coming....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Rapidly gentrifying though. You can't really buy even a small 3 bed house there now for less than £500k and as soon as you start going just a few hundred yards up the road towards Alexandra Palace station, you're looking at 600-700k.

I went back there recently and one of the pubs I used to go into right by Wood Green tube had been closed after someone was murdered there.
      Only been to Wood Green for watching Rugby League games (Skolars) .... can't say I saw much between the station and the ground though.

As for Croydon, it's like any City/Town centre, just need to use common sense and be aware of those around you. I haven't seen any more pub style violence there than other areas of the country. It can be a bit grim around East Croydon station (although that area has had a lot of dosh spent on it the past few years) with buggers and junkies, but move 50 mtrs away and it's fine.

Like I say, my wife worked there (Leon House on the High Street) for 8 years and the worst she saw was a pigeon eating sick off the pavement. The worst her colleagues suffered was a male friend who was flashed by a bag lady
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Croydon - iLiveHere - Britain's worst places to live

Went for an interview in East Croydon once (early 80's) thought it was a bit boring and didn't take the job anyway
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Croydon - iLiveHere - Britain's worst places to live

Went for an interview in East Croydon once (early 80's) thought it was a bit boring and didn't take the job anyway
          That website is a hive of complainers - there is very little (if any) positive said about any area. Even the likes of Weybridge, in prime commuter belt, is slated.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            That website is a hive of complainers - there is very little (if any) positive said about any area. Even the likes of Weybridge, in prime commuter belt, is slated.
            Weybridge is tulipe.

(QED)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              Weybridge is tulipe.

(QED)
              Really? I can see it being dull, but it must have something going for it if the average property price is c.£800k

Comment

Really? I can see it being dull, but it must have something going for it if the average property price is c.£800k
                Dull is a form of tulipe. Sterile mock Tudor dullness. But each to their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Dull is a form of tulipe. Sterile mock Tudor dullness. But each to their own.
                  I get that people don't like dull but that is hardly tulip in the run down, poverty, dirty, tulip-hole kind of way. My point stands though, that website is full of whingers and their complains about every town because that's what people are like.

Comment

I get that people don't like dull but that is hardly tulip in the run down, poverty, dirty, tulip-hole kind of way. My point stands though, that website is full of whingers and their complains about every town because that's what people are like.
                    Different type of tulipe. It's like how the Kensington public are the scum of the Earth (with some charming exceptions).

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Crime In My Area - Interactive UK Crime Map | ADT

Croydon in last 12 only. The total overloaded my calculator.
                      From this website , it looks like another culturally rich place Brixton is worse than Croydon.

Comment

Working...
                      X