• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In Soviet Union we have dozens of steaks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Soviet Union we have dozens of steaks

Tesco joins Morrisons to limit sales of some items - BBC News

Tesco has become the latest supermarket to place limits on the number of items shoppers can buy, following a similar move by rival Morrisons.
    It wall only get worse towards 31/12
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

It has introduced a three-items per customer limit on flour, dried pasta, toilet roll, baby wipes and anti-bacterial wipes.

Are people putting baby wipes down the toilet? As it will bung it up.

Plus you can buy boxes of them so is it only 3 boxes? And you can use cosmetic/facial wipes.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You won. Get over it!

Chin up - could be worse:

During the Blockade I lost my mother, father and brother, aged four. My father died in the war. I was six when the war broke out. My mother, brother and sister stayed in Leningrad, we lived in Petrogradskaia.

During the winter of 1942, my mother fell ill and, before she passed away, she left my older sister, Antonina (20) in charge to look after us. She made the 12 km trip to our auntie’s flat in Srednaia Podiacheskaia, on foot whilst pulling us on the sledge in the freezing cold.

The streets were dark and silent, nobody was outside and the power was out. Along the way my brother was whining, he was ill and he couldn’t cope with the hunger.

I remember this one incident. A man came up to us (I think he was a soldier), and he retrieved from his pocket a piece of bread, and broke it in two, handing one half to my brother. Bread in those days was like gold!

We finally arrived at the flat of our auntie, where we were fed. After dinner my brother left this world. I was left alone with my sister. We were sent off by our auntie to a hospital to get better, we stayed in the hospital for six months. Whilst in hospital we were fed well and we started to become healthy again. The hospital saved our lives! After six months in the hospital, I returned to live with my auntie.

One event sticks very prominently in my mind. One day, my auntie and I went to pick up some bread from the bakery on our ration cards. My auntie told me to wait outside the bakery whilst she got the bread. Whilst I was waiting, a woman approached me and told me to follow her. She promised to give me bread, sweets and other treats. I went after her – I believed her – after all I was hungry!

My auntie left the bakery and found me gone. She called for me, and then she saw me from afar. I was being dragged into the woman’s flat. My auntie called a policeman and he arrested the woman (she was taken outside and shot on the spot). It turned out that the woman was a cannibal! She wanted to eat me! Her flat was searched by the police and they found many human body remains, some were half eaten.

This is the story of how I was almost eaten during the Blockade. These were scary times! People were experiencing terrible hunger, and some went to extremes to deal with it.

Comment

That's a depressing story. We've no idea how good we've had it over the last 20 years.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

True hunger will drive even the most sane person to cannibalism
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            True hunger will drive even the most sane person to cannibalism
            The question is: will Brexiteers break earlier or later than a sane person.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              That's a depressing story. We've no idea how good we've had it over the last 70 years.
              Thanks to their sacrifice.
              FTFY
              Last edited by vetran; 25 September 2020, 13:26.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post

You do know which country caused the Blockade don't you? Are you suggesting they will do it again over Brexit?

In which case we have real problems.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  You do know which country caused the Blockade don't you? Are you suggesting they will do it again over Brexit?

In which case we have real problems.
                  No, but Johnson was suggesting an EU food blockade may be in the pipeline. As a blockade would likely be an act of war, this suggestion demonstrates just how far down the insanity rabbit-hole Brexiteers have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    Interesting point. Which reminds me, I need 5kg of gravy powder from cash and carry. The neighbour weighs about 45kgs.

Comment

Working...
                    X