• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This morning a UK agent sent me a spec

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    spill the beans
    Contractors don't pay insurance in Germany so sayeth the law.

I was sent an enquiry as to why I hadn't paid social insurance so I ticked the box of being self-employed on the form they sent me and heard nothing back.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 30 September 2020, 13:41.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Contractors don't pay insurance in Germany so sayeth the law.

I was sent an enquiry as to why I hadn't paid social insurance so I ticked the box of being self-employed on the form they sent me and heard nothing back.
      You don't have to pay any state mandated social insurance but you do have to pay health insurance, even when unemployed.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

From Contractors' Questions: How to go freelance in Germany?

In order to work as a freelancer ('Freiberufler') in Germany, you have to be recognised as such by the tax office and, more importantly, by the social security authorities. You can apply to be recognised as a freelancer at the Deutsche Rentenversicherung. The status grants you not only certain tax advantages, as you point out, but also an exemption from all German social security requirements.

The main criteria the authorities apply include:
        - turnover; number of clients: if five sixths of your turnover is generated by one client, you cannot be considered to be independent/freelance
        - if you are integrated into the organisation of your client and depend on his instructions, you cannot be considered as a freelancer.

In our experience, it is quite easy to obtain Freiberufler status, and there are very few checks performed at the outset. At the end of the year, however, your tax return must demonstrate that the above criteria have been met. If it is deemed that you do not qualify for Freiberufler status, you may be exposed to extra tax and social security along with possible penalties.

I'd have thought most IT contractors would fall foul of the bold bit. In addition, how do people handle the 183 days rule? I'm currently looking at a 6 month fixed term contract, can you still be a freelancer with this type of contract?

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
          From Contractors' Questions: How to go freelance in Germany?

In order to work as a freelancer ('Freiberufler') in Germany, you have to be recognised as such by the tax office and, more importantly, by the social security authorities. You can apply to be recognised as a freelancer at the Deutsche Rentenversicherung. The status grants you not only certain tax advantages, as you point out, but also an exemption from all German social security requirements.

The main criteria the authorities apply include:
          - turnover; number of clients: if five sixths of your turnover is generated by one client, you cannot be considered to be independent/freelance
          - if you are integrated into the organisation of your client and depend on his instructions, you cannot be considered as a freelancer.

In our experience, it is quite easy to obtain Freiberufler status, and there are very few checks performed at the outset. At the end of the year, however, your tax return must demonstrate that the above criteria have been met. If it is deemed that you do not qualify for Freiberufler status, you may be exposed to extra tax and social security along with possible penalties.

I'd have thought most IT contractors would fall foul of the bold bit. In addition, how do people handle the 183 days rule? I'm currently looking at a 6 month fixed term contract, can you still be a freelancer with this type of contract?
          A social insurance enquiry will generally cover a several years, provided you don't have 5/6 of your income from one client over 3 or 4 years you will have satisfied the criteria. My accountant told me that up to two years at one client would probably be OK.

When I got the routine enquiry because my time as a freelancer was more than 4 years back they didn't even bother to ask about which clients I'd worked for.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Been operating under Freiberufler status since I came here - Permies will never take me alive.

Kind of given up working anyway, bored to the back teeth with it.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X