• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extinction millenium

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know how anyone can work in Lush, it stinks
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      Don't know how anyone can work in Lush, it stinks
      It's like Subway, you smell it miles before you see it. I've only been in a store once because someone asked me to pick something up for them. Never again.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        not according to Mentalfloss who have some great other words - but WWWwords is probably more reputable

The Origins of 9 Great British Insults | Mental Floss.

Nincompoop

For such a colloquial word, nincompoop actually has a very learned past. Samuel Johnson, the compiler of England’s first proper dictionary, claims the word comes from the Latin phrase non compos mentis (“not of right mind”), and was originally a legal term.
        World Wide Words: Nincompoop
        Nah, for once the learned Dr Johnson was barking up the wrong tree!

It was originally Elizabethan (i.e. around the time of Drake and Raleigh) Naval slang and meant an ineffectual officer, whose foppish and/or otherwise incompetent ways meant he would never be promoted to captain, i.e. a short form of "ne(v)er come (to a) poop (deck)", the poop deck being the upper deck where the ship's captain would strut around giving orders to all and sundry.
        Last edited by OwlHoot; 30 October 2020, 11:44.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Some good ones here that I will endeavour to use in my client meeting this afternoon:

1920's Slang
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            Nah, for once the learned Dr Johnson was barking up the wrong tree!

It was originally Elizabethan (i.e. around the time of Drake and Raleigh) Naval slang and meant an ineffectual officer, whose foppish and/or otherwise incompetent ways meant he would never be promoted to captain, i.e. a short form of "ne(v)er come (to a) poop (deck)", the poop deck being the upper deck where the ship's captain would strut around giving orders to all and sundry.
            This is further supported by the fact the earliest occurrences were spelt "nicompoop".
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

This is further supported by the fact the earliest occurrences were spelt "nicompoop".
              Yup, and the word is a similar construction to "neer do well" which I think was Tudor slang from around the same time.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                There is a related term for an incoherent investment adviser: "nincompooperscot".

Comment

Nobody seems to 'snog' nowadays either.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Nobody seems to 'snog' nowadays either.
                    And do people still give each other 'hickies'?

Always thought such things were trashy so I'm glad of they have been consigned to history

Comment

There is no way that nearly 1 in 5 don't know the word Disco. I call BS. (silent disco is everywhere)

Comment

Working...
                      X