• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2nd Wave - where are all the deaths then?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    Excess deaths includes deaths from covid and deaths from government interventions (such as excess cancer deaths from no cancer treatments for 3-6 months) and also statistical variance...

You can't extract just the covid deaths from it unfortunately.
    And what is the cause of the "government interventions" as you put it?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Must be someone else with the same username as you who started this thread...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-out-well.html
      To be fair, that's just baseline whining for PC, not active complaining:

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
      Until the government decided to withdraw the air bridge. Nice one.....
      Yes I was there at the time - some very unhappy people.

Although see my other post about exemptions.....

Its all a complete mess. My client, as expected, is being pretty useless. Like I lot of clients I guess, they struggle to realise that contractors aren't employees of theirs at all and any decision regarding eligibility needs to come from an "employer".

Would be easy for those of you via limited company because you're the employer. In my case, the umbrella company bottled it and just phoned my client who was not happy.

Flew back into Birmingham last night - number of people on the plane hadnt done the form online. No internet, no smartphone etc and were told the forms could be completed on arrival. Ummm nope. No-one around to take the forms and border control passport people were denying it was their responsibility. So people just walked through, got their bags and went home. A very well working system here - NOT.
      You do realise that a few weeks ago the government listed spain as one of their quarantine free countries, dont you? And FCo advice was changed accordingly....

OK its changed back now... Im hardly going to affect the population of birmingham by visiting an island with no cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        I'm not going to do a forensic search of your posts, but that sounds unlikely.
        Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Must be someone else with the same username as you who started this thread...

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...-out-well.html
        I don't really see any complaint there. Except that his client found it hard to deal with him being in quarantine.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I don't really see any complaint there. Except that his client found it hard to deal with him being in quarantine.
          Nice one.....
          Its all a complete mess.
          HTH

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            I don't really see any complaint there. Except that his client found it hard to deal with him...

I can understand that.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Then there should be appropriate investigation, followed by prosecutions.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

I did nothing wrong at the time. It was all allowed by our government etc. No problems.

Perhaps the difference is I'm able to think for myself and not follow the "trendy" opinions of the masses.
                After years of reading the crap you get yourself into I'd say your being ability to think for yourself is far more dangerous to you than covid is.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  He should have said it was a business meeting. Or a grouse shoot, which is slightly less believable if he was in Islington.

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
                    I saw a graphic on the BBC the other day that said 36 people had died in the past 24 hours (and in small print at the bottom - "who had tested postive for coronavirus in the previous 28 days")

These are highly selective statistics.
                    You have to define it somehow. In the early days we had different stats for "killed by Covid", "Covid mentioned on death certificate", "covid mentioned", etc. We previously included any death with a prior covid test as a covid stat, this was revised to 28 days and lowered the headline figure quite a bit.

Same old same old. If you even give a slightly different opinion on how Covid is handled you get called names.

Its now trendy in this country to stay with the pack and not have an opinion I'm afraid.

I've quit facebook now. Sick of people falling over themselves to get comments in the prove to everyone how virtuous they are and how they are sticking to the rules. Its become a badge of honour for many.
                    Sometimes running against the pack makes you a brave visionary. Most of the time it means you are wrong. Playing the martyr is nice for your ego.

Analogy of the band where the drummer is the only one playing in time. Or the guy gets a call "watch out love, I heard there's some idiot driving the wrong way on the motorway" and replies "one? there's hundreds of them".

In your case PS, I think we can make a good guess which it is. Do you know more about science and medicine than the medical community?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've quit facebook now.
                      Why do they get lucky and we don't?

I did nothing wrong at the time. It was all allowed by our government etc. No problems.

Perhaps the difference is I'm able to think for myself and not follow the "trendy" opinions of the masses.
                      It wasn't illegal or wrong, it was just really stupid.

Pray tell, how is going on holiday the same as thousands of other people "thinking for yourself"?
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X