• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Track and trace app and iOS 14 install?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Track and trace app and iOS 14 install?

Anyone manged to update their iPhone 6s to ioS 14 (the one released on the 20th Sept 2020).

I need at least 13.5 apparently to download and use the track and trace app.

Seems zero actual solutions on Google.

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
    Anyone manged to update their iPhone 6s to ioS 14 (the one released on the 20th Sept 2020).

I need at least 13.5 apparently to download and use the track and trace app.

Seems zero actual solutions on Google.
    Yes, no drama what so ever
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Check that you're not out of storage space - particularly if you use WhatsApp or similar communications apps - the media files from them can fill up a phone very quickly
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Check that you're not out of storage space - particularly if you use WhatsApp or similar communications apps - the media files from them can fill up a phone very quickly
        Thank you I have deleted just about everything to make room, there's a few posts on Google but they all lead the same way. Are you on full power (yes), do you have enough storage (yes), are you on WiFi (yes)....

Oh well won't be needed soon as restaurants, bars etc., lock down is coming soon.

Comment

No point. Just give every restaurant etc you go to your contact details and keep a daily eye on your local press.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            No point. Just give every restaurant etc you go to your contact details and keep a daily eye on your local press.
            Yeah had to do that for now, would be a lot easier though if I had the app. Hopefully a patch will come for the iphone soon.

Comment

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
              Yeah had to do that for now, would be a lot easier though if I had the app. Hopefully a patch will come for the iphone soon.
              The app tells them you 'checked-in' at a certain time, but you can't 'check-out' so the app has no idea when you left. Also it doesn't appear to do any proximity checking (e.g. someone you sat near on a train for half an hour) and you can't tell it when you get home because it only works with a QR code. It's a bit crap, really.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                The app tells them you 'checked-in' at a certain time, but you can't 'check-out' so the app has no idea when you left. Also it doesn't appear to do any proximity checking (e.g. someone you sat near on a train for half an hour) and you can't tell it when you get home because it only works with a QR code. It's a bit crap, really.
                It does do proximity checking. They considered making everybody wear a QR code but that turned out to be impractical, so it uses Bluetooth.

And apparently the reason for not having checkout is that user testing suggested many people wouldn't bother or wouldn't remember, rendering the data gathered of limited value. And it can't tell when you've left for home because that would require giving the app access to your phone's location services, which was considered too much of a privacy problem.

But if you sit near a complete stranger (who also has the app) on the train for half an hour, and that person has a positive test a few days later, you'll be alerted that you've been in close proximity with a person who has so tested, though not with any details of who they were.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  It does do proximity checking. They considered making everybody wear a QR code but that turned out to be impractical, so it uses Bluetooth.

And apparently the reason for not having checkout is that user testing suggested many people wouldn't bother or wouldn't remember, rendering the data gathered of limited value. And it can't tell when you've left for home because that would require giving the app access to your phone's location services, which was considered too much of a privacy problem.

But if you sit near a complete stranger (who also has the app) on the train for half an hour, and that person has a positive test a few days later, you'll be alerted that you've been in close proximity with a person who has so tested, though not with any details of who they were.
                  So if I turned off Bluetooth (which I did, because it kills my battery) it's useless if I'm not in a premises with a QR code on display?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Since the release of iOS 5 (Q4 2011), Windows Phone 8.1 (Q3 2014), BlackBerry 10 (Q1 2013), and Android Jelly Bean (4.3 - Q3 2012), mobile phone operating systems have supported a further subset of Bluetooth protocols known as Bluetooth Low Energy ("Bluetooth LE"). Although Bluetooth and Bluetooth LE are not directly compatible with each other, i.e. they have different rules about how to communicate, most modern Bluetooth chips are designed to talk both "Classic" and "LE" as they share a frequency range, meaning they can also share an antenna.

When the Covid-19 tracking app is installed Bluetooth LE is enabled and you can't turn it off. You can turn off Classic Bluetooth but not the LE tracking version built into the chipset.
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Working...
                    X