• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nationwide Building Society House Price Index Sept 20

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nationwide Building Society House Price Index Sept 20

Key points:

- Annual price growth picked up to 5.0% in September, the highest rate since Sep 2016

- Prices rose 0.9% month-on-month, after taking account of seasonal factors

- Most regions saw a pickup in house price growth rates in Q3

Full report here:

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media...ep_Q3_2020.pdf

It's not just the growth, the volume of transaction surprises me given current market conditions. What's driving that?

Comment

Also surprising because banks are pulling deals and upping interest rates on a daily basis so who the feck is buying?

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        Also surprising because banks are pulling deals and upping interest rates on a daily basis so who the feck is buying?
        2 really good questions. Right now I would say I am seeing lots of first time buyers who have been renting and want to take advantage of the stamp duty holiday.

The second demographic I would say are those who are bringing forward their plans to leave the cities and move to commuting towns where they can get a bit more square footage and outdoor space.

Comment

pent up demand due to lockdowns and stamp duty holiday is driving this market
          Maybe it will crash next year when tsunami of job lossses will come

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
            pent up demand due to lockdowns and stamp duty holiday is driving this market
            Maybe it will crash next year when tsunami of job lossses will come
            I wonder if people are locking in a move while they still have a job and can get a mortgage?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I wonder if people are locking in a move while they still have a job and can get a mortgage?
              ^^ A strong possibility. As is the pent-up demand.
              ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                Anyone with spare capital is buying. It's like a game of Monopoly, those who have will win, those who don't become lose worse off.

I cannot foresee any real growth for the majority of Brits for at least 20 years to come.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Good point, they may be downsizing to lower liabilities.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It's mad to buy now, unless in an undervalued area.

Wages have deflated, not inflated, for most professionals I know once inflation is accounted for. Given the forthcoming hardship that most posters here expect it would be extremely dumb, unless you are very cash rich, to buy a property right now.

Comment

Working...
                    X