• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nationwide Building Society House Price Index Sept 20

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's stupid to buy now, especially flats in city centres. The way things are going, I'm afraid a fair number of small businesses will close down (a lot already have) which will drive down property values because nobody wants to live in a small flat in a city where half the coffee shops, restaurants and local businesses have shut down.

Different story for houses in towns outside the city, where you already get more value for your money and these type of properties/locations are just going to get more in demand, at least in the short-mid term. These properties are still worth investing in.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
      It's stupid to buy now, especially flats in city centres. The way things are going, I'm afraid a fair number of small businesses will close down (a lot already have) which will drive down property values because nobody wants to live in a small flat in a city where half the coffee shops, restaurants and local businesses have shut down.

Different story for houses in towns outside the city, where you already get more value for your money and these type of properties/locations are just going to get more in demand, at least in the short-mid term. These properties are still worth investing in.
      I disagree. Many people do not want to commute and prefer the city centre. Even if half the coffee shops and bars close, people like to go out and not drink drive and not queue and pay for a taxi home.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        I disagree. Many people do not want to commute and prefer the city centre. Even if half the coffee shops and bars close, people like to go out and not drink drive and not queue and pay for a taxi home.
        And I disagree with you

People who can now work from home and will be able to do so on a regular basis will prefer to move out in smaller communities where they get better quality houses, more space, better services and a better quality of life. So, young professionals tired of the city and families.

Only people who will stay in city centres will mostly be students, tourists (maybe), young professionals who still care about going for pints everyday after work, workers who won't be able to work from home (like retail workers, teachers, whatever will remain of the hospitality industry) and people who want to move out but can't afford it. So yeah, in my opinion city centres will become a bit more chavvy.

Can't speak for the whole country, but this is what's happening in Edinburgh, where all the properties in the surrounding towns are now being sold in record time, while more and more flats in the city centre stay in the market longer than they used to and have to go "fixed price" instead of "offers over"

Comment

And I disagree with you

People who can now work from home and will be able to do so on a regular basis will prefer to move out in smaller communities where they get better quality houses, more space, better services and a better quality of life. So, young professionals tired of the city and families.

Only people who will stay in city centres will mostly be students, tourists (maybe), young professionals who still care about going for pints everyday after work, workers who won't be able to work from home (like retail workers, teachers, whatever will remain of the hospitality industry) and people who want to move out but can't afford it. So yeah, in my opinion city centres will become a bit more chavvy.

Can't speak for the whole country, but this is what's happening in Edinburgh, where all the properties in the surrounding towns are now being sold in record time, while more and more flats in the city centre stay in the market longer than they used to and have to go "fixed price" instead of "offers over"
          I will keep an eye out for this, there are seven estate agents within five minutes walk from me... and nine pubs.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

and nine pubs.
            It's good for people in city centres to have easy access to booze. Will make it easier for them to tolerate a miserable life stuck in small flats with annoying neighbours and dog tulip all over the sidewalks.

Comment

It's good for people in city centres to have easy access to booze. Will make it easier for them to tolerate a miserable life stuck in small flats with annoying neighbours and dog tulip all over the sidewalks.
              I own two shops next to each other on the High Street, one is a coffee shop, one an office. Two basements, and three floors above ground, two attics with stairs and two rear gardens; that 16 rooms in total. No dog poo, (that must be a Scottish thing).

What do you live in?

Comment

I'm not talking about the exceptions like yourself. I'm talking about the situation of the average person that lives in a city flat.

I'd be surprised if any of the people posting on this forum lived in a tulip hole. We're contractors, we're the top 5-10% of income earners.

Comment

No dog poo, (that must be a Scottish thing).
                  Definitely an Edinburgh thing

There's a blind guy living on my street, his guide dog is trained to take tulips on the side of the road (which is fair, this way the blind owner doesn't have to pick it up and in theory roads should get washed).

Obviously all the retard neighbours started to do the same, their dogs tulip everywhere and they don't pick anything up. If you don't step on it on the sidewalk, you'll get it on your tyres when you park the car.

Nice living in the city....

Comment

Definitely an Edinburgh thing

There's a blind guy living on my street, his guide dog is trained to take tulips on the side of the road (which is fair, this way the blind owner doesn't have to pick it up and in theory roads should get washed).

Obviously all the retard neighbours started to do the same, their dogs tulip everywhere and they don't pick anything up. If you don't step on it on the sidewalk, you'll get it on your tyres when you park the car.

Nice living in the city....
                    Dog tulip on the footpath is not specific to cities - I live in a village. Our FB page has the constant cycle of 2 topics .... dog poo and car parking. Every feckin day. Without fail.

EVERY FECKIN DAY!!!!!!!!
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      Dog tulip on the footpath is not specific to cities - I live in a village. Our FB page has the constant cycle of 2 topics .... dog poo and car parking. Every feckin day. Without fail.

EVERY FECKIN DAY!!!!!!!!
                      Never ever seen a dog owner who loves to pick their dog poo. Encountered plenty of doggers who deliberately choose an unusual time or secluded woodland spaces to take their dog out, glance fiercely to check if they are being monitored and then scurry off leaving behind a steaming large pile of dog turd. mad
                      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                      X