• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finally a certain mod to be prosecuted for hate crimes :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally a certain mod to be prosecuted for hate crimes :)

Campaigners call for abuse of cyclists to be made a hate crime

Campaigners are trying to ban the use of the term 'Lycra louts' to describe speeding cyclists – and even stop the likes of Jeremy Clarkson poking fun at them.Under proposed media guidelines, abuse of cyclists would be treated as a 'hate crime' and they would get the same protection as domestic violence victims and refugees.
    Newspapers would also be gagged from stating if an injured cyclist was not wearing a helmet or high-vis clothing.
    Instead, they would be urged to shame 'criminal' motorists for accidents involving bicycles.
    The controversial media code is backed by Impress, a state-approved regulator funded indirectly by millionaire former Formula 1 boss Max Mosley's family charity.
    The 'Road Collision Reporting Guidelines' say cyclists are 'dehumanised' by media coverage which is in favour of speeding motorists. When a cyclist was in an accident with a car, the media should state they had been 'hit by a driver, not a car'. The report also questions the use of the word 'cyclist' itself, arguing it 'can engender negative connotations'.
    Under the code, cyclists who claim they have been insulted will be able to make formal complaints on the grounds that it 'provoked hatred'.
    I hope those that use such hate speech such as L*cra L*uts should pay the price!

Bloody revisionists - if a cyclist is riding like a muppet improperly clothed then that is relevant.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

"Hit by a driver" - what nonsense. That'd be if the driver got out of the car and punched the cyclists. Impress is probably the least appropriate name for an organisation ever. Utter unimpressive.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Newspapers would also be gagged from stating if an injured cyclist was not wearing a helmet or high-vis clothing.

Instead, they would be urged to shame 'criminal' motorists for accidents involving bicycles.
      If the lack of appropriate safety clothing was a feature of the accident, then why exclude that information? By sharing the impact of not wearing those things you'd hope more cyclists would realise they are needed. Although, there is an argument against wearing cycling helmets (I can't remember where I read it but will update if I find it) as they don't necessarily promote safer cycling.

If the motorist is at fault for the accident, then their details should be released in exactly the same manner as other unlawful motoring incidents. There shouldn't be a special case.

They say the word 'accident' should be banned in reports of crashes – even though 'road traffic accident' is the legal term recognised by police and courts.
      That's interesting - my understanding was that they were called road traffic incidents due to the potential lack of accountability that an accident implies.

It says: 'All traffic collisions involve some form of misjudgement by error or outright downright dangerous action by one or more drivers.'
      That is a out and out lie. Many or some, but definitely not all.

Generally, I'd say it's the miliant few who give the sensible majority a bad name. I think we all have a tale of a 'bad' cyclist who ignores no cycling signs, runs down pedestrians, skips red lights, etc. Identifying and getting a prosecution of those is impossible so they behave like they are above the law. Motorists are easy to identify so are an easy target for recriminiation.

Cyclists should have the same responsibilities as other road users - registration, identification and mandatory insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        It says: 'All traffic collisions involve some form of misjudgement by error or outright downright dangerous action by one or more drivers.'
        Sounds like this is written by a cyclist.
        If a cyclist hits a pedestrian and there are no cars around, how is it the fault of a car driver?
        If a cyclist's flashing lights that are pointing upwards cause a horse to throw a rider, how is that the fault of a car driver?
        If cyclists are riding 3 (or more) abreast so that 2 of them are on or beyond the middle of the road, how is a driver on the correct side of the road at fault?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Well maybe the Sun shouldn't publish articles where they name an individual a "Lycra lout" simply because he was on a bike and in an accident.

This is all part of the culture of selling newspapers by printing articles to get people to hate whoever they're writing about.

Rage sells newspapers.

Typically the article starts as "Lycra lout on a bike causes accident on highway". Whether the "lycra lout" actually did cause the accident is neither here nor there.

The result is if you are on a bike you'll be harassed by a Sun reading driver because he hates "Lycra louts".
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 1 October 2020, 10:04.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            Well maybe the Sun shouldn't publish articles where they name an individual a "Lycra lout" simply because he was on a bike and in an accident.

This is all part of the culture of selling newspapers by printing articles to get people to hate whoever they're writing about.

Rage sells newspapers.

Typically the article starts as "Lycra lout on a bike causes accident on highway". Whether the "lycra lout" actually did cause the accident is neither here nor there.

The result is if you are on a bike you'll be harassed by a Sun reading driver because he hates "Lycra louts".
            How Much Are You Hated By The Daily Mail? - by UsVsTh3m

Comment

It hates me! Hurray, the feeling is mutual.

Comment

It hates me! Hurray, the feeling is mutual.

Me too!

Comment

If the lack of appropriate safety clothing was a feature of the accident, then why exclude that information? By sharing the impact of not wearing those things you'd hope more cyclists would realise they are needed. Although, there is an argument against wearing cycling helmets (I can't remember where I read it but will update if I find it) as they don't necessarily promote safer cycling.

If the motorist is at fault for the accident, then their details should be released in exactly the same manner as other unlawful motoring incidents. There shouldn't be a special case.

That's interesting - my understanding was that they were called road traffic incidents due to the potential lack of accountability that an accident implies.

Generally, I'd say it's the miliant few who give the sensible majority a bad name. I think we all have a tale of a 'bad' cyclist who ignores no cycling signs, runs down pedestrians, skips red lights, etc. Identifying and getting a prosecution of those is impossible so they behave like they are above the law. Motorists are easy to identify so are an easy target for recriminiation.

Cyclists should have the same responsibilities as other road users - registration, identification and mandatory insurance.

I tend to agree but the use of Road traffic collisions which was the term I was told. These does not allow the get out of "It was an accident" the push is that if a collision occurred either one or both participants are at fault,(my thought is that they ignore the road needs improvement or the law needs to change). That seems reasonable to me.

Some interesting stuff here.

What are the factors that contribute to road accidents? An assessment of law enforcement views, ordinary drivers’ opinions, and road accident records - ScienceDirect

I regularly drive through a few junctions / road layouts that are poorly designed and either under or over signed. You can see this when many drivers commit the same offence because of the design.

Above they also suggest different drivers have varying failings. Instead of concentrating on these and fixing them, prosecution seems to be the first resort. Words of advice and supporting road users seem to have disappeared.

If I ruled the world I would insist on regular testing at both end of the age curve in drivers. A computer simulated test that built skill & responsibility, at first optional but then mandatory. A basic sight test and recording the face of the driver should be part of it. Health reporting should be integrated with the NHS so if have an issue which prevents me driving safely then the DVLA should be informed. The current system is honesty based and not everyone is honest.

Many high streets are pedestrianised and cycling is prohibited yet policemen patrolling seem to ignore cyclists pegging it down the middle of the pedestrian area.

Cyclists ignoring lights etc are also common.

Cyclists in dark clothes with no lights are so common I will almost certainly see one or more on most evening journey, frequently they are the ones who try to test whether a 1+ tonne car can perform an emergency stop before they end up under my front wheels

Parking is an issue and the dangers associated with cars ignoring it on a Friday night around the restaurants with drunken revellers jumping out from behind cars parked on Zebra crossings / double yellow lines are fairly obvious.

Many of these could be policed via CCTV but they don't bother.

So these are probably the major cause of many incidents yet they will be ignored because the driver will be prosecuted not the council & Police.

Confiscation of a bicycle unfit to be on the road or where the rider is not wearing a helmet & reflective equipment should be standard. Where the cyclist doesn't follow the road laws then they can pay for the accident or a fixed penalty.

Agree some form of registration would be nice for cyclists/cyces.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    Me too!

Me too apparently. I feel like a divorcee!

Comment

Working...
                    X