• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So how does this scam work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No-one has told me what's in the envelope.

Is it going to be used to assassinate someone in Russia?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      No-one has told me what's in the envelope.
      A guide to English cathedrals.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        A few years back, when living in the UK, I found a negative entry or whatever on my credit report. Somebody had used my name with incorrect DoB and wrong address (but same postal district) to get a Next account set up. And then obviously not paid the bill. IIRC I had to complain to the Information Commissioner to sort it out.
        I found the same when getting checked for a banking gig. They contacted me to say I had an undisclosed address in the last five years, which I didn't. On further investigation, someone had taken out 2 mobile phone contracts with Three, using my name and DOB, but some random address. Couldn't quite work out what the scam was as they had paid the bills for about 3 years and the contract was still running. Took an age to contact '3' (almost impossible) if you don't have an account with them. They were great when I eventually got them and investigated and cancelled the contract within like 2 hours and advised the credit ref agencies. Getting experian to remove the info was a different story though. Took about 2 months.

The scam from the OP could be the old 'i don't have an account in your country and i can only pay you with this bank draft for £1000. Take your hundred and send me the rest' type scam. Bank then takes the grand back off you in about 4 months.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

The start of a BBL fraud probably.

With you left owing the dosh to the government.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            A few years back, when living in the UK, I found a negative entry or whatever on my credit report. Somebody had used my name with incorrect DoB and wrong address (but same postal district) to get a Next account set up. And then obviously not paid the bill. IIRC I had to complain to the Information Commissioner to sort it out.
            I tried ringing and their call centre drone started the data protection denial so I looked up the directors on company house and then their emails/addresses on their website, I explained their failure to store correct information was criminal, if they contacted me again except to say it was fixed I would charge a full day rate, if they failed to fix it in reasonable time I would charge an admin fee that matched their highest admin fee. I got a polite apology and confirmation it was fixed next day. Followed up with a letter as requested.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              What’s in the envelope ?
              Novichok
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                OK, it could be AtW opening another revenue stream - but how does this scam work.
                Why don't you try it and let us all know? I means it's just a letter, what can possibly go wrong?
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  Why don't you try it and let us all know? I means it's just a letter, what can possibly go wrong?
                  Alas, the spammer was insistent on a UK address.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    Alas, the spammer was insistent on a UK address.
                    Just give them spooters address

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                      Just give them spooters address

yeah its easy

Mr McSpooter
                      3rd bin along by the runway terrace.
                      Bath Road,
                      Longford London
                      UB7 0EQ
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X