• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please sign petition

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please sign petition

'I worked a five-hour shift and got paid nothing' - BBC News

A 19-year-old woman has begun a campaign to ban all unpaid work trials after she worked a five-hour shift in a restaurant and didn't get paid.

Ellen Reynolds, from Glasgow, had to buy a shirt and trousers for a uniform as well so ended up £20 out of pocket.

Ban all unpaid work trial periods - Petitions
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

That is a rare worthy cause that I will actually sign up to.

Even the petition wording is sensible.

Comment

Done, but I'm sure that ”At 10,000 signatures, government will respond with feck off".

Comment

Signed -

Should name and shame restaurant.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I did it when I saw your link on the wrong board.
          Last edited by SueEllen; 2 October 2020, 05:40.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I demand to know which companies are using free labour.

Then I will invest heavily in their shares. After all, their profit margins will be incredible.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Nope.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Nope.
                As in, you don't support a ban on unpaid trials?

Like unpaid internships (something else I disagree with), there are many people who think an unpaid working trial is perfectly reasonable and it would be good to understand the rationale.

Comment

"Working in a shop where everything is worth a quid except you"

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    As in, you don't support a ban on unpaid trials?

Like unpaid internships (something else I disagree with), there are many people who think an unpaid working trial is perfectly reasonable and it would be good to understand the rationale.
                    There's a lad(17 years old) on LinkedIn at the moment who was furloughed, bored out of his tree so he went to see a local engineering firm and asked if he could work there for free as he wanted to learn and didn't want to spend all his time on his XBox. The MD of the company gave him a trial and has now offered to take over his apprenticeship.

The lad didn't bleat to the press about not being paid, he got on with it.

He also didn't post on LinkedIn, the MD of the company did.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to spend a day seeing if you like a job and the company likes you. Anything longer unpaid is taking the piss imho.

So "No, I won't be signing the petition".
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X