• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End of a cinema era

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cineworlds were clean, comfortable and someone was out in 10 seconds if people had their feet up or their phone on.

The new academy awards diversity rules will kill cinema anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Slightly odd comparison.

Cinemas are closing because of a lack of customers / films to show. If they had sufficient demand, they would remain open (as some are).

Gyms are open because there is sufficient demand to keep them viable. The viability is probably down to the membership model and getting pre payment from the gym members.

Although I do agree that gyms aren't necessarily safe. There was a bit on the radio this morning where it was mentioned the aerosols emitted in an enclosed space can linger for up to 4 hours. You'd want a gym with a really good airflow system, it's not just about wiping the equipment after its been used.
      I miss the gym very much, not only am I concerned about "the aerosols" but also the changing rooms and showers; I will no longer go.

The local municipal gym has put session prices up by threefold and limited to one hour and must be pre-booked.

The way things are, covid restrictions are going to be around for at least another year.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

It does seem perverse though that cinemas are closing whilst gyms can reopen and they are one of the higher risk venues for covid transmission.
        My colleague got CV-19 after a gym visit, laid him and his wife out for 3 weeks and he's still feeling the effects 8 weeks later.
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          My colleague got CV-19 after a gym visit, laid him and his wife out for 3 weeks and he's still feeling the effects 8 weeks later.
          Gyms look like plague pits.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            The new academy awards diversity rules will kill cinema anyway.
            Your typical racist homophobic and misogynist and bre*!teer gammon

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I miss the gym very much, not only am I concerned about "the aerosols" but also the changing rooms and showers; I will no longer go.
              I haven't been either.

I noticed that all the studio based classes where equipment is a mat and/or weights are always booked up - and they are down to a third of capacity - but people are avoiding spinning due to the airflow in the studio and swimming as they don't want to use the changing room and showers.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Gyms look like plague pits.
                They can be.

Oddly in my old municipal gym a couple of the circuit classes where half outside in the nearby park regardless of the weather. The instructor use to do this for added variety (torture).

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Cinemas have been in decline for years. They're an outdated business model and frankly customers have better things to do than pay £10 a pop to sit in dirt laden scummy cinema seats and eat overpriced grimy nachos/hotdogs/chocolates. Before lockdown I'd take the family out to watch an average/sh1tty movie and that was £50+ gone just for that! The only good thing was the popcorn.

AV tech has become much better for home use and if you're going to do something like watching movies - that doesn't require social interaction or meeting new people - then why not sit at home and watch movies on your own big screen with surround sound.

We do enjoy the theatre because now there's something you can't recreate at home (even though my wife loves to create drama). A total rip with tickets costing £100 each but hey it's a special event for us.

Cinemas are dead.
                  Must say this is my thought too. Cinema was where you'd go to see the latest blockbuster but now it's easier to wait an extra few weeks until it's on Sky movies and then watch it in the comfort of your own home.

Cv19 may get blamed for the death of the cinema, but I think they would have popped anyway even without the lockdowns. Some may survive.
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    Must say this is my thought too. Cinema was where you'd go to see the latest blockbuster but now it's easier to wait an extra few weeks until it's on Sky movies and then watch it in the comfort of your own home.

Cv19 may get blamed for the death of the cinema, but I think they would have popped anyway even without the lockdowns. Some may survive.
                    It's where you go when it's 30+ degrees and you want air conditioning.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      It's where you go when it's 30+ degrees and you want air conditioning.
                      Ha ha, Mrs W and I did that once in Hong Kong Tropical storm outside, sweating like a pig, so we went to watch an English speaking film (Mr & Mrs Smith) - not the best film, but nice and cool
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X