• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spreadsheets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Read somewhere that they were adding a column per test - that surely surely surely can't be right... (googles)
    UK blames mysterious ‘technical issue’ for missing 16,000 coronavirus cases - The Verge

Seems to be speculation atm

Comment

Or just a design fault:

...one lab had sent its daily test report to PHE in the form of a CSV file – the simplest possible database format, just a list of values separated by commas. That report was then loaded into Microsoft Excel, and the new tests at the bottom were added to the main database.

But while CSV files can be any size, Microsoft Excel files can only be 1,048,576 rows long. When a CSV file longer than that is opened, the bottom rows get cut off and are no longer displayed. That means that, once the lab had performed more than a million tests, it was only a matter of time before its reports failed to be read by PHE.
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Don't underestimate excel. UK's whole banking system runs on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
          Don't underestimate excel. UK's whole banking system runs on it.
          Bolloks it does

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Currently trending on Twitter in the UK: "VLOOKUP"

You wait until they realise you can do hlookup too
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

You wait until they realise you can do hlookup too

What's wrong with xlookup?
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                What's wrong with xlookup?
                Are you suggesting these muppets are using O365? My bet is they're still using Excel 2010
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

what's all this mickey mouse software, anyway?
                  windoze pish.

Comment

Easy to understand write-up: Coronavirus: Data can save lives, data can cost lives - and this latest testing blunder will likely prove it | UK News | Sky News
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      Surprised they aren't calling the spreadsheet, "the database".
                      Aka "THe Matrix"

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Don't forget Typhoid Dido is Head of Track and Trace and Head of the agency to replace PHE.
                      Promoting incompetence to make it someone elses problem. She'll be PM in a few more moves.

Summary: 'Protect the NHS' wasn't about people but a friggin spreadsheet. Throw a few more billion at IT and the problem will go away, for a while. Not a bad gravy train to be on if you can sleep at night.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X