• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spreadsheets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently it was in rows, not columns. The problem was they saved it as .xls and not .xlsx

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      The cool kids who don't want the spreadsheet to crash use INDEX and MATCH
      FTFY

the ones with a brain use SQL to store data and if at gunpoint excel as the viewing tool.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Wasn't it simply a case of doing an automated export to xls to help ordinary folk "see" the data, email to all concerned parties etc.? If that's the case I can already see a tester somewhere thinking "fecking hell we tested with a 1000 entries and pushed this ticket into Resolved".

Comment

What kind of idiots are they using that are using spreadsheets in this digital age. They must be 20 years behind.
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
            Wasn't it simply a case of doing an automated export to xls to help ordinary folk "see" the data, email to all concerned parties etc.? If that's the case I can already see a tester somewhere thinking "fecking hell we tested with a 1000 entries and pushed this ticket into Resolved".
            My guess is that they are using labs in addition to those they normally use for routine hospital bloods - commercial labs, research labs, veterinary labs. These labs probably don't support normal healthcare HL7 messaging of lab results, so they were in a hurry to implement and decided to export into Excel, possibly manipulate data in Excel to normalise data (e.g. add leading zeroes to phone numbers etc. so patients get SMS) and then import into their public health system. This probably made sense in the early days when everything had to be done quickly. But they had the summer, when things were quieter and the surge expected to migrate to a more robust system / process.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              My guess is that they are using labs in addition to those they normally use for routine hospital bloods - commercial labs, research labs, veterinary labs. These labs probably don't support normal healthcare HL7 messaging of lab results, so they were in a hurry to implement and decided to export into Excel, possibly manipulate data in Excel to normalise data (e.g. add leading zeroes to phone numbers etc. so patients get SMS) and then import into their public health system. This probably made sense in the early days when everything had to be done quickly. But they had the summer, when things were quieter and the surge expected to migrate to a more robust system / process.
              I've worked for government agencies and in financial services where manual procedures have the be used due to failures off or in addition to automated processes - things were checked in triplicate as a minimum. I suspect this wasn't happening after the first few occasions.....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                What kind of idiots are they using that are using spreadsheets in this digital age. They must be 20 years behind.

So let me get this straight, they are sharing confidential medical information with contact details in spreadsheets. Can we lock Matt Handcock up with the BLM & EDL protesters on GDPR breaches?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  Else it won't run on windows XP

HMS Queen Elizabeth is 'running outdated Windows XP', raising cyber attack fears

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    So let me get this straight, they are sharing confidential medical information with contact details in spreadsheets. Can we lock Matt Handcock up with the BLM & EDL protesters on GDPR breaches?
                    Using Excel is not in itself a GDPR breach. It should however be subject to a DPIA and the risks managed (and they should have moved away from this over the summer when they had breathing space).

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                      Using Excel is not in itself a GDPR breach. It should however be subject to a DPIA and the risks managed (and they should have moved away from this over the summer when they had breathing space).
                      I don't remember giving consent for my data to be shared, when I did a covid test back in July, so I think they are actually breaching GDPR guidelines (which will cease after Dec 31st anyway)

Comment

Working...
                      X