• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Matt Hancock's Love of Grime

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    Move out of the way grandad!

Every generation bemoans the state of music and how it was best in their day. Music is in a constant state of renewal and there has been good, bad and terrible music in every era.

In 2040 we'll have middle aged people saying how terrible music is and how they miss the good old days of grime, K-pop etc from the 20s...
    Doubtful when my daughters have their friends round I enjoy pointing out that the song was released before they were born.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
      Move out of the way grandad!

Every generation bemoans the state of music and how it was best in their day. Music is in a constant state of renewal and there has been good, bad and terrible music in every era.

In 2040 we'll have middle aged people saying how terrible music is and how they miss the good old days of grime, K-pop etc from the 20s...
      I was actually just thinking about the very same thing this morning. My musical tastes were generally 'formed' in the very late 60's and 70's. I thought electronic stuff of the late 70's early 80's was tulipe, but now when you look back and watch BBC4 and Sky Arts documentaries about the period, it doesn't look quite as bad and you can see that it was new and in a state of development and evolution.

I was wondering if, as you say, in 20-40 years time, people will look back and describe anything from the last 20 years (or the next) as ground breaking or 'changing the world'. Possibly it will and some of us are just too old to see it
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        I was actually just thinking about the very same thing this morning. My musical tastes were generally 'formed' in the very late 60's and 70's. I thought electronic stuff of the late 70's early 80's was tulipe, but now when you look back and watch BBC4 and Sky Arts documentaries about the period, it doesn't look quite as bad and you can see that it was new and in a state of development and evolution.

I was wondering if, as you say, in 20-40 years time, people will look back and describe anything from the last 20 years (or the next) as ground breaking or 'changing the world'. Possibly it will and some of us are just too old to see it
        But nothing is as revolutionary or iconoclastic as when, say, the Pistols or the Stones exploded onto the scene. These days if anything "edgy" comes out you'll have the Guardian crowing about it like an embarrassing maiden aunt that wants to be down with the kids.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
          But nothing is as revolutionary or iconoclastic as when, say, the Pistols or the Stones exploded onto the scene. These days if anything "edgy" comes out you'll have the Guardian crowing about it like an embarrassing maiden aunt that wants to be down with the kids.
          I agree, kinda, but I also appreciate that I'm also looking at it through the 'wrong eyes'. I remember the Pistols bursting onto the scene and a lot of people being amazed by it and caught up in it. I thought it was listenable, but not life changing. To me (and looking back at it from here, bears this out), it sounded like really rough versions of the kind of Chinn & Chapman stuff that Mud/Sweet/Suzi Quattro and, dare I say it, Gary Glitter were churning out. OK, the lyrics were a bit harder edged but, melody wise, it was the same thing with more distorted guitars and looser production.
          When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I remember playing the Pistols to my mother when they came out, her comment was "it's just rock and roll but the singer can't sing". There was nothing really revolutionary about the music
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              I remember playing the Pistols to my mother when they came out, her comment was "it's just rock and roll but the singer can't sing". There was nothing really revolutionary about the music
              No, but I don't think such vitriol laden lyrics had hit the mainstream before. It really did upset the establishment.

Others that were touted as being the new Pistols followed in their wake but none generated the same levels of outrage as they did. I'm thinking Jesus and Mary Chain and Sigue Sigue Sputnik in particular and though TJAMC were good I seem to recall they just used to upset people by not showing up to their gigs!

Comment

Quite the opposite. The Gruan is more in favour of modern artists than the papers stuck in the past who want Elgar played everywhere.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm rather more in favour of "Gotterdammerung" at the moment.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                  X