What an idiot What an idiot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: What an idiot

  1. #1

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,177

    Default What an idiot

    'My firm may fold because I can't get a bounce back loan' - BBC News

    Quitting his IT job two years ago to start a beer tour business was a dream for Mike Hampshire.
    But his hopes of breaking even in his second year of operation were crushed when the coronavirus crisis hit in spring.
    Now the future of his Leeds-based business is in serious doubt as he's been unable to get a bounce back loan.
    "Without a loan to tide me over I'm going to have to look for other work," he said
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

  2. #2

    Double Godlike!

    ladymuck has reached the peak. Play again?

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,021

    Default

    So he's tried two banks out of the many that are offering them.

  3. #3

    Fingers like lightning

    TheGreenBastard is NOT a disguised employee

    TheGreenBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    961

    Default

    The BBC is riddled with these types of stories, as if it's happening in a vacuum and nobody else is suffering.

  4. #4

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    23,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    The BBC is riddled with these types of stories, as if it's happening in a vacuum and nobody else is suffering.
    So unless you care about all people who are suffering, you shouldn't care about any?


    Your point that the world contains multiple problems is a real slam-dunk argument against fixing any of them.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    GJABS - scorchio!

    GJABS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So unless you care about all people who are suffering, you shouldn't care about any?
    Correct as a general principle, because the fix for the problem one person has might make the problems worse for everyone else.

  6. #6

    Fingers like lightning

    TheGreenBastard is NOT a disguised employee

    TheGreenBastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So unless you care about all people who are suffering, you shouldn't care about any?

    Your point that the world contains multiple problems is a real slam-dunk argument against fixing any of them.
    No, I should have qualified my opinion more, I find the BBC is becoming riddled with bottom of the barrel style sympathy porn. This particular article is tiresome due in part because of the quote the OP provided.

  7. #7

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    17,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    No, I should have qualified my opinion more, I find the BBC is becoming riddled with bottom of the barrel style sympathy porn. This particular article is tiresome due in part because of the quote the OP provided.
    It's brutal for this stuff. They search social media for pissed off emotional types and build uninteresting articles on them.

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,177

    Default

    He chucks in contracting to do a hairbrained scheme rather than keeping his job and doing his plan B at the same time.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding

    courtg9000 is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Warwickshire and Dublin
    Posts
    304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    He chucks in contracting to do a hairbrained scheme rather than keeping his job and doing his plan B at the same time.
    The fatal flaw in the plan.
    I am in touch with a number of IT contractors (about 3 dozen now and rising) who want out and asked me for some help. The majority of whom I know from my hardcore contracting time, the rest have been referred by these.

    My advice is always the same "don't leave via the fire exit and don't slam the door on the way out!"

    He seems to have slammed the door on the way out and this article probably won't help his chances of a re-entry to the trade especially if a twitchy airhead HR type is involved in the process.
    Former IPSE member
    Main website | News and blog | Magazine

  10. #10

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere is always on top

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    23,761

    Default

    Title edited.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •