• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Covid-19 deaths UK vs Japan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    So you pick two countries at opposite ends of the spectrum... what about all the other European nations?
    Perhaps you should do a little more thinking.
    That is the whole point, comparing 2 countries at each end of the spectrum and the impact of CV19 on those 2 nations. Identifying the differences can then help us to understand how we can better manage the spread of covid; comparing 2 similar countries wouldn't give us the same insights!

For me the biggest difference is how each person in the 2 different societies respects other in their society. In the UK we are selfish, we only care about ourselves and feck others and hence we are not bothered if we put others at risk. You only have to see the streets outside pubs at 22:10 at night to understand this. We can blame the government as much as we like, but at some stage we also as a society have to take some responsibility ourselves.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Don't forget geographically.
      I was deliberately ignoring the complete impossible.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        Japan has a very orderly society who will readily obey laws. They are used to wearing masks.
        Japanese hospitals are not short of equipment.
        Japanese families and the public highly respect old people, old people are given priority.

In the UK, over 65s are neglected and dumped and disrespected by the younger generation. Even the government advises don't
        bother treating over 65s for covid 19.
        The Tories could not organise a pee up in a brewery, never mind how to deal with covid 19.
        40 is the new 65

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          That is the whole point, comparing 2 countries at each end of the spectrum and the impact of CV19 on those 2 nations. Identifying the differences can then help us to understand how we can better manage the spread of covid; comparing 2 similar countries wouldn't give us the same insights!

For me the biggest difference is how each person in the 2 different societies respects other in their society. In the UK we are selfish, we only care about ourselves and feck others and hence we are not bothered if we put others at risk. You only have to see the streets outside pubs at 22:10 at night to understand this. We can blame the government as much as we like, but at some stage we also as a society have to take some responsibility ourselves.
          Not completely true.

I dig out that behavioural science article I read earlier today - Big city indifference to strangers may be a myth, study suggests | Science | The Guardian

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Belarus.
            Lukashenka vs Covid-19: Shake hands, but wash them

Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka does not wear a mask and keeps shaking hands; the pandemic failed to have any impact on his work schedule, presidential press secretary Natallya Eysmant told RFE/RL.

“The president is shaking hands, as he always did. You can see it with your own eyes – just turn on TV. His work activity is based on the very same principles. For example, on Fridays, a field trip is often included in the president’s working schedule,” she said.

Boris Johnson on coronavirus - 'I shook hands with everybody' | UK News | Sky News

'I was at a hospital where there were a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody' says Boris Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Also the government and it's institutions help to lead society. This is why we have feck ups like this -

Coronavirus: Inspectors see nurses at outbreak hospital not wearing their masks or washing hands | The Independent

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Not completely true.

I dig out that behavioural science article I read earlier today - Big city indifference to strangers may be a myth, study suggests | Science | The Guardian
                That's different - what you refer to is actively helping someone you see in need of help. That is different to changing our behavior and making our lives less convenient (well perceived less convenient) to maybe help someone faceless. I'm sure most of those having house parties, ignoring social distancing rules, partying in the streets after pubs shut would help someone they see in trouble, and yet they act selfish when it comes to the virus spread.

Comment

Also the government and it's institutions help to lead society. This is why we have feck ups like this -

Coronavirus: Inspectors see nurses at outbreak hospital not wearing their masks or washing hands | The Independent
                  Oh, I'm not defending the idiot Tories, and culture does flow from the top, but we still have free will to act more selflessly and yet as a society we choose not to.

Comment

That's in Kent. It's a part of France now.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                      UK - 42,500 deaths
                      Japan - 1,600 deaths

UK Population - 65m
                      Japan Population - 126m

UK Population Density - 725 persons per sq mile
                      Japan Population Density - 863 persons per sq mile

Coronavirus: Japan's mysteriously low virus death rate - BBC News

I thought it was interesting to compare the two countries.

The only difference I can think of is Japan doesn't have Boris and his totally inept team.
                      Because UK population is too fat.
                      List of countries by obesity rate - Wikipedia

36% obese in uk
                      4.3% obese in japan

Comment

Working...
                      X