• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Rules in Scotland

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
    Why when 99%+ of people recover from it?
    And those that have long term complications afterwards....

But to answer your point. UK population 67,981,342. Infection rates escalating which say, in the worst case runs amok and everyone in the UK gets it at some point. 1% of that population is 679813 people. And that's acceptable?

And no need to debate or correct me. It's a very rough dumb response to a very rough dumb question. Not worth persuing.

But keep em coming. It's vaguely entertaining.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 7 October 2020, 15:37.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      What political party isn't fecking corrupt in the UK?
      Having a full family in charge of a party is South America stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
        I know it's conjecture at the moment but I had to jump on that and ask why?? Does that include cafes and other public venues that may serve alcohol?

Edit: Apparently it's not conjecture. More importantly, I've just read that Brussels is closing its bars for 1 month. Hope they reopen in time for my planned Christmas Market visit at the start of December!
        Not cancelled yet but wouldn't be surprised, even Germany is cancelling most of theirs:

Brussels Christmas market not cancelled (yet)

Weihnachtsmarkte 2020: In welchen Grossstadten sie stattfinden - und wo nicht - FOCUS Online
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          And those that have long term complications afterwards....

But to answer your point. UK population 67,981,342. Infection rates escalating which say, in the worst case runs amok and everyone in the UK gets it at some point. 1% of that population is 679813 people. And that's acceptable?

And no need to debate or correct me. It's a very rough dumb response to a very rough dumb question. Not worth persuing.

But keep em coming. It's vaguely entertaining.
          How many die in a bad flu year? We do nothing preventative at all except offer free jabs to the elderly.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            Well, there's always Malmo if they do cancel.

I won't even bother looking at Edinburgh. They have a great one there, we always do a ghost tour, visit some ghoulish attractions and have dinner at the Witchery.

Oh well.. next year perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
              Why when 99%+ of people recover from it?
              Read the current British Medical Journal. 80% of people with symptoms (not hospitalised) have one or more symptoms months later. This isn't chronic fatigue, but fatigue is included as one of the symptoms somewhere down the line.

Lung issues, kidney disease, strange neurological symptoms, it doesn't look good. Insomnia, tingling sensations, strange central nervous system problems. There's a cohort being analysed around 6 months later, who had covid19 in March and April. Four out of five people have longer term symptoms.

Incredibly it seems diabetes is being brought on by having covid19 in individuals who were not in the at-risk group for diabetes.

Covid19 seems to have many long lasting effects for a high majority of people who have moderate to severe symptoms when unwell in the first stages of the illness. This tells me that those just thinking "you get covid and then recover, you don't die" aren't considering the longer term impact on the individual.

Some impressive research into post-SARS effects, such as negative changes in processing different types of fats, seems to be an indication that we can expect a lot of people, including those who were healthy and not unfit before catching covid19, will have ongoing complications.

'Long Covid': Why are some people not recovering? - BBC News

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2018688

303 See Other
              Last edited by rogerfederer; 7 October 2020, 16:39.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                Read the current British Medical Journal. 80% of people with symptoms (not hospitalised) have one or more symptoms months later. This isn't chronic fatigue, but fatigue is included as one of the symptoms somewhere down the line.

Lung issues, kidney disease, strange neurological symptoms, it doesn't look good. Insomnia, tingling sensations, strange central nervous system problems. There's a cohort being analysed around 6 months later, who had covid19 in March and April. Four out of five people have longer term symptoms.

Incredibly it seems diabetes is being brought on by having covid19 in individuals who were not in the at-risk group for diabetes.

Covid19 seems to have many long lasting effects for a high majority of people who have moderate to severe symptoms when unwell in the first stages of the illness. This tells me that those just thinking "you get covid and then recover, you don't die" aren't considering the longer term impact on the individual.
                Sounds interesting (and scary) - got a link or was this a paper copy?

There has been relatively little discussion around "Long Covid" (as these symptoms have been referred) over the past 6 months, even though early reports were that people were being left with longer term issues, but I've seen a few more mainstream media mentions of it recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  Sounds interesting (and scary) - got a link or was this a paper copy?

There has been relatively little discussion around "Long Covid" (as these symptoms have been referred) over the past 6 months, even though early reports were that people were being left with longer term issues, but I've seen a few more mainstream media mentions of it recently.
                  Paper copy. I'm not medical but a friend who can't be bothered reading it gives it to me.

I added a link to a BBC article that summarised a lot of the information also found in it, that also highlights some of the longer term SARS research.

I had covid at a similar time to when sasguru posted his experience, having caught it in Germany as far as I can be sure of transmission path. I've definitely had insomnia for a short while after building up my running and exercise routine again. I had to stop running during a simple 7K and get a lift home, as I lost all energy. This was after building up to 10Km distance again over a period of many months. When I speak to doctors (friends and officially) they are seeing a LOT of people come forward, but they can only tell them to rest. A balance is required between rest and exercise, otherwise other negative health effects will be seen. Knowing a fit person who has died from it I can see that this herd immunity strategy - one definitely being used by the government - is slightly mad, in the sense that we have no true idea of the long term effects for the younger population. We may well see huge heart, lung, kidney and diabetes disease in the people who have mild to moderate covid. Compared to SARS, seemingly a lifetime ago now, the experiment on the population at large seems a bit crazy to me.
                  Last edited by rogerfederer; 7 October 2020, 16:49.

Comment

Diabetes already uses 10-11% of the NHS England budget. (Don't know about the other UK nations but suspect it's similar.)

If more people who get Long Covid get that and/or issues with their heart and lungs that means they are more prone to things like strokes, it will have an impact, directly and indirectly, on everybody on the UK.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                      have you taken over from Ivan ackeroff with the DOOM threads?
                      asking for a friend
                      This is serious*, you insensitive git.

* But only for the scotch° so who cares.

° Just trolling...
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X