• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Long Covid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Read they think it may be due to damage to tiny blood vessels so the body isn't getting the oxygen and nutrients it requires for normal state. Though lots more research needed to be sure, so those more susceptible can be warned or treated better before the damage occurs.

Not sure I've heard of anyone famous having long covid, or being at death's door or actually dying. Most one would think are vulnerable, from Bozo, Trump and other prominant government figures to Prince Charles, all manner of celebrity saying they've had it, have brushed it off pretty easily and quickly.

Then they expect the population to put up with the broad stroke approach of lockdowns and restrictions causing all manner of chaos and storing up bigger problems for the future both economically and health wise.
    There is some kind of propaganda that this disease affects a tiny percent and even then its all the people with health conditions like heart, blood pressure and so on.

My brother in law, in his forties, very fit and no health issues, got Covid and within a week he collapsed. The rapid decline was without warning and if he wasnt admitted to ICU immediately he would not have made it.

Many drugs have been identified to actually work like the cocktail of the drugs that Trump took. They are now standard in hospitals. That should bring the casualties rate down.

But I have heard stories of marathon runners not being able to run even a kilometer months after recovering from Covid. This disease certainly does weird things to the body.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      There is some kind of propaganda that this disease affects a tiny percent and even then its all the people with health conditions like heart, blood pressure and so on.

My brother in law, in his forties, very fit and no health issues, got Covid and within a week he collapsed. The rapid decline was without warning and if he wasnt admitted to ICU immediately he would not have made it.

Many drugs have been identified to actually work like the cocktail of the drugs that Trump took. They are now standard in hospitals. That should bring the casualties rate down.

But I have heard stories of marathon runners not being able to run even a kilometer months after recovering from Covid. This disease certainly does weird things to the body.
      Yes, I think as another poster previously pointed out, this "long covid" syndrome seems to hit the very active. And by that, from what I've read, I think we can infer long distance runner, cyclists, triathletes etc.

I've never though that kind of exercise was particularly healthy. At least my own dalliances have led me to feel like death warmed up after a long session of one of these cardio based activities. As opposed to a good session of resistance training which tend to leave one feeling somewhat more pumped up afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Trump and Bozo would never admit to it as it would be seen as a sign of weakness.

Prince Charles is heir to the throne so it would have to be hidden.

At some point some famous people will come out and say they have Long Covid. (There are probably some C-listers claiming they have it now but I can't be bothered to search for it.)
        They wouldn't be able to hide it away unless they too hid away, if it's as debilatating as the reports suggest.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Famous people are subjected to lockdowns. However there is a difference to being locked down if you have multiple homes with very large grounds like The Queen, to living 6 to a one-bedroom flat on the 15th floor of a tower block.
        Spartacus may be gone but we now have Stanley Johnson if anyone asks.

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post

Anyone supposedly healthy and getting long covid is unlucky to have some underlying reason it hit them worse than most, even if they are in tip-top condition it may be a dna thing, or maybe it's like pneumonia where the bigger hold it gets before effective treatment the more damage it does. So those not able to get a quick test result are already worse off than the more priveledged before the actual treatment they are given is taken into account.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
          Yes, I think as another poster previously pointed out, this "long covid" syndrome seems to hit the very active. And by that, from what I've read, I think we can infer long distance runner, cyclists, triathletes etc.

I've never though that kind of exercise was particularly healthy. At least my own dalliances have led me to feel like death warmed up after a long session of one of these cardio based activities. As opposed to a good session of resistance training which tend to leave one feeling somewhat more pumped up afterwards.

If hammering the body with exercise too often and too hard, the immune system is weakened. Those doing marathons are at risk of infection in the days after for that reason.

At the other end of the covid situation are the obese with type 2 diabetes.

So like most things in life, it's best to be somewhere in the middle.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

In between the line I'm reading about pockets of the virus remaining in the body long after recovery. i.e. in joints, the lungs, the gut - with symptoms specific to each deposit. Evil bug.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I was told that people hit by this were not really falling into particular categories, it seriously does seem to be a random thing.

Whilst this is talking about severe problems, there are so many strange things out there that could become problematic long term, we'll just have to wait and see.

Things like:
              Acne around the mouth, that is pesistent , can become painful and in some cases causes infection.
              Chillblain type injuries on the extremities
              Loss of taste and or smell that doesn't return , creating mental health issues (apparently its pretty traumatic).
              hive type rashes that come and go.

For the loss of taste and smell, 2 of the people I know who had it, both female, are still not able to taste food as it's supposed to taste, some good 5 months after infection. 1 has no taste still and regularly gets upset about it and the other tastes things that is a recognised taste, but doesn't match the food! (e.g tomatoes and lamb fat!)

I think its known that the majority of people who visit ICU , need respiratory physiotherapy - as there is a shortage of physios to do it and a lot of private health care companies are repurposing to provide these services.

Personally, I think its a sign of the times that people expect FACTS and knowledge about something brand new , instead of understanding that its going to take years to understand this and decide who is vulnerable, who isnt, what the risk and impact of repeat infections are etc.
              Last edited by Scoobos; 8 October 2020, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                I was told that people hit by this were not really falling into particular categories, it seriously does seem to be a random thing.

Whilst this is talking about severe problems, there are so many strange things out there that could become problematic long term, we'll just have to wait and see.

Things like:
                Acne around the mouth, that is pesistent , can become painful and in some cases causes infection.
                Chillblain type injuries on the extremities
                Loss of taste and or smell that doesn't return , creating mental health issues (apparently its pretty traumatic).
                hive type rashes that come and go.

For the loss of taste and smell, 2 of the people I know who had it, both female, are still not able to taste food as it's supposed to taste, some good 5 months after infection. 1 has no taste still and regularly gets upset about it and the other tastes things that is a recognised taste, but doesn't match the food! (e.g tomatoes and lamb fat!)

I think its known that the majority of people who visit ICU , need respiratory physiotherapy - as there is a shortage of physios to do it and a lot of private health care companies are repurposing to provide these services.

Personally, I think its a sign of the times that people expect FACTS and knowledge about something brand new , instead of understanding that its going to take years to understand this and decide who is vulnerable, who isn't, what the risk and impact of repeat infections are etc.

Yes, I had the symptoms for about 10 of the days that I was unwell and I found it very unsettling because, while one loses one's sense of taste with a cold/flu because of congestion, with this thing there is no congestion at all. Furthermore, I wouldn't say that the sense of taste had gone altogether - it was still possible to detect sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami on the tongue - it's just that everything tasted the same. Rancid, in other words.

And worst of all, and the very last thing that I was able to enjoy again after recovery, was my favourite thing of all. A decent cup of coffee. That tasted so rank I switched to mint tea for the duration of the illness.

Comment

If i can ask, are you male? The partners of these women had exactly the same things when they were telling me - noticably being able to tell salty etc, and an identical coffee story - but they got it all back in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
                    If i can ask, are you male? The partners of these women had exactly the same things when they were telling me - noticably being able to tell salty etc, and an identical coffee story - but they got it all back in a couple of weeks.
                    No, I'm not. So things still just seem as random as ever

Comment

Originally posted by The Bona Fide View Post
                      No, I'm not. So things still just seem as random as ever
                      Though one pattern I have identified is that, over the course of the last 6 months, the gap between my last cup of coffee and my first alcoholic drink of the day is getting shorter and shorter.

Comment

Working...
                      X