• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dangerous Lies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rearden Metal View Post
    Good to see free speech is alive and well.
    There is no concept of free speech which defends shouting "Fire" in a crowded theatre, when there is no threat. And there's no right to free speech here. It's a privately owned forum.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
      That's exactly what Gricer would say.

FOG
      Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      That's exactly what Gricer would say...
      KUATB

Comment

There is no concept of free speech which defends shouting "Fire" in a crowded theatre, when there is no threat.

And there's no right to free speech here. It's a private owned forum.
        So Shauny is behind CUK. That explains a lot.

Comment

No I wouldn't .... I mean, no he wouldn't
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

There is no concept of free speech which defends shouting "Fire" in a crowded theatre, when there is no threat. And there's no right to free speech here. It's a privately owned forum.
            It really is 'funny' how often idiots can't understand the concept of privately owned social media platforms. Somehow some people think if something is online they can do as they want as it's 'public'.

Same happens on FB groups.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              It really is 'funny' how often idiots can't understand the concept of privately owned social media platforms. Somehow some people think if something is online they can do as they want as it's 'public'.

Same happens on FB groups.
              There is an interesting debate to be had. There is a corollary with outdoor spaces that appear to be public spaces that are actually privately owned:

Revealed: the insidious creep of pseudo-public space in London | Cities | The Guardian

Many of the freedoms that exist in public spaces don't exist there: selling political newspapers, assembling to demonstrate etc., and you can be moved on for pretty much any non-discriminatory reason. So much discourse is now held online, but there is no equivalent "public space". It is all privately owned. You could of course create your own privately owned space, but it is still not "public space". It is not great for democracy and freedom.

Comment

Back to the point.
                The situation is not as ATW states, it is more that the cinema is on fire and all those in the balcony seats as pissing into the stalls in a failed effort to put it out. Some one else is suggesting that it might be better to leave the cinema and let it burn out.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                  Back to the point.
                  The situation is not as ATW states, it is more that the cinema is on fire and all those in the balcony seats as pissing into the stalls in a failed effort to put it out. Some one else is suggesting that it might be better to leave the cinema and let it burn out.
                  Except no-one knows if everyone can get out in time.

[ Just like to point out your analogy reminds me of the Grenfell tragedy.]
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The ban took this time.

53rd time is the charm?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

[ Just like to point out your analogy reminds me of the Grenfell tragedy.]
                      Where the poor sods were told to stay inside by the 'expoerts'?

Comment

Working...
                      X