• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wear A Mask Everywhere

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You're falling into their trap if you start talking about medical studies, they'll just say they're fake or point you to 'a doctor' who disputes it and claim "doctors can't agree".

You don't need a medical study to show wearing a simple mask is safe. Go to the dentist. Look at a surgeon. Think about tradesmen. Consider people wearing bandanas on their motorbikes. Or how you cover your face when you visit a really cold country. Or consider that in many countries, people have been wearing masks when ill as a courtesy for decades - as well as when covering their faces when air conditions are bad (forest fires, pollution) to HELP their breathing.

It's a nonsense.
    Do you know what a medical study is? Wearing a pulse oximeter and then putting on a mask and looking at the readings is not a medical study. It's a single isolated data point from a single person in an unknown environment.

Even if your blood oxygen stays the same you don't know what other impacts it has. Does it stay the same because it isn't restricting oxygen or is it because your body finds another way to compensate and if so does this cause any other issue? These videos are always done using slim doctors in peak health.. is it applicable to the sick, fat, and elderly? Are pulse oximeters even the best thing to measure? Etc, etc, etc...

You get the point, you need a proper study design and more than a single data point.

I am all for wearing masks by the way (just not outside that's an overreach) just saying that telling someone with a respiratory issue that they are safe to wear a mask (someone who stated they had issues breathing with it on) because you saw a youtube video of a doctor wearing a mask with a pulse oximeter on is the exact opposite of science.

It's reckless and dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      There have been numerous tests in hospitals to test oxygen levels when breathing through a mask. All tests so far using a medical oxygen sensor (that clip they put on your finger when doing an ECG) show there is zero oxygen reduction in the blood when using a mask. A mask is uncomfortable and restricts airflow but the human body is very good in coping.

I have resorted to using a mask when in the open air in the high street, the reason; two aggressive beggars came up close to me and purposely breathed heavily over me and would not go away.
      Thats all well and good BUT I have about a 5-6 minute window with the mask on before I start getting into trouble.
      Incidentally do you know what the health profile was of those they conducted the trials on?
      Former IPSE member
      My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
        Thats all well and good BUT I have about a 5-6 minute window with the mask on before I start getting into trouble.
        Incidentally do you know what the health profile was of those they conducted the trials on?
        I sympathise with you. However, there seems to be a issue with too many people claiming they cannot wear a face-mask. If the government suddenly gave a £20 per week grant for wearing one, I am sure many people will change their mind.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I sympathise with you. However, there seems to be a issue with too many people claiming they cannot wear a face-mask. If the government suddenly gave a £20 per week grant for wearing one, I am sure many people will change their mind.
          How do you know there are too many people claiming they cannot wear a face mask?

Comment

I made the point originally that there is not set scheme in place for non mask wearing for example an ID card issued by a doctor or hospital.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              Do you know what a medical study is? Wearing a pulse oximeter and then putting on a mask and looking at the readings is not a medical study. It's a single isolated data point from a single person in an unknown environment.

Even if your blood oxygen stays the same you don't know what other impacts it has. Does it stay the same because it isn't restricting oxygen or is it because your body finds another way to compensate and if so does this cause any other issue? These videos are always done using slim doctors in peak health.. is it applicable to the sick, fat, and elderly? Are pulse oximeters even the best thing to measure? Etc, etc, etc...

You get the point, you need a proper study design and more than a single data point.

I am all for wearing masks by the way (just not outside that's an overreach) just saying that telling someone with a respiratory issue that they are safe to wear a mask (someone who stated they had issues breathing with it on) because you saw a youtube video of a doctor wearing a mask with a pulse oximeter on is the exact opposite of science.

It's reckless and dangerous.

Do you know what a pulse oximeter is? You don't 'measure' a pulse oximeter. A pulse oximeter is a device to measure / monitor oxygen saturation.

Honestly, the pig ignorance of some people!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Do you know what a pulse oximeter is? You don't 'measure' a pulse oximeter. A pulse oximeter is a device to measure / monitor oxygen saturation.

You probably do if you're recalibrating one, like when MF stops by and you need to recalibrate to orca fat.

Comment

Lol I'm ignorant? Maybe you're ignorant?...

I have a pulse oximeter at home. I know what it is.

Sorry if my grammar wasn't perfectly on point, I am not british.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                    Lol I'm ignorant? Maybe you're ignorant?...

I have a pulse oximeter at home. I know what it is.

Sorry if my grammar wasn't perfectly on point, I am not british.
                    Your grammar was fine. It was your semantics that was wrong. Are you slow or something?

Comment

Your grammar was fine. It was your semantics that was wrong. Are you slow or something?
                      Cool resorting to name calling, first I was ignorant now I am slow, what next? Keep it coming.

Of course I can't say anything back or I'll be banned

Comment

Working...
                      X