• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote working - this sums it up nicely

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote working - this sums it up nicely

https://twitter.com/chris_herd/statu...818312192?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

and your point is?
    more AtW DOOOOOOOM?

Comment

According to a self-declared "remote work activist".

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        I think that thread is bang on the money.

Mind you I’ve been setting up home working for companies since the days of 28k modems. So I must declare that as an interest.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Companies are going remote but not for most of the reasons he says.

It’s for the money. The cost savings they are making are huge. Why bother with offices when most workers are more productive and have to pay for their own electricity and broadband?

And let’s not forget not having to worry about canteen or toilet or cleaning facilities.

Most don’t actually give a toss about how workers work, they are keen to have software that tracks that workers are in front of their laptops, not whether they produce anything of quality.

It won’t be long before many people realise that they are living at their place of work rather than working from home.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is there any evidence people are more productive or is it all anecdotal from people who want everyone to stay remote?

I have had a hell of a time getting responses for almost any query. Getting people to pay attention during teams calls is a real challenge. Every deliverable is late. People are continually inaccessible during work hours. Of course I'm just a contractor so I don't have any power over these things and I don't really care that much other than it's annoying because it slows me down and reflects poorly on me.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
              Is there any evidence people are more productive or is it all anecdotal from people who want everyone to stay remote?

I have had a hell of a time getting responses for almost any query. Getting people to pay attention during teams calls is a real challenge. Every deliverable is late. People are continually inaccessible during work hours. Of course I'm just a contractor so I don't have any power over these things and I don't really care that much other than it's annoying because it slows me down and reflects poorly on me.
              It will always be anecdotal if you report on your own company, but at our company we're a consultancy so we bill per hour. Billing hours are up due to less sick days, so management are happy. If we were to miss our goals then there would be senior management meetings where everyone would shout very loudly. Fortunately that isn't happening.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

As with all anecdotes the results will probably be whatever the person wants them to be - if you think people need to work in an office they won't be good enough, if you want to reduce office space working from home will be brilliant.

What I suspect you need to have is a combination of core hours and flexibility. I.e. 3 hours a day when you can be 100% sure that people are accessible and leave the rest of the work to be done asynchronously by a fixed deadline explaining with clear explanations as to why it needs to be done by then...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post

It's on a company by company basis.

There are some companies who have done mostly remote working long before Covid who realised the cost savings on not having office space(s) were sufficient to cover any minor losses on productivity. These companies also often had and have people working in different time zones who had to do remote meetings with one another.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It's on a company by company basis.

There are some companies who have done mostly remote working long before Covid who realised the cost savings on not having office space(s) were sufficient to cover any minor losses on productivity. These companies also often had and have people working in different time zones who had to do remote meetings with one another.
                    Yep, I'm back to being a hub between Singapore and Florida.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X