• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Fail Fail - what price is that house?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Fail Fail - what price is that house?

Can you find the prices of the houses in the article?

'Tasteless' homeowners are slammed over 'Grey Plague' trend | Daily Mail Online

'Tasteless' homeowners have been slammed over a trend of ruining pretty homes with dreary paint-jobs, supersized fences and Astro-turf lawns, dubbed the 'Grey Plague'.

A number of examples have been shared online in recent weeks, showing how once picturesque white houses, often dating back centuries, have been transformed into ugly, grey mountains stripped of greenery and often with imposing front features.

The worst offenders, according to scores of social media users, appear to be Edwardian and Victorian redbrick homes clad in dreary grey render, with some described as 'truly shocking.'

One Victorian home, complete with a pretty turret, was given a grey makeover in Woodford Green, Essex, with commenters saying the owners had ruined a decent house.

All the white wooden windows were changed to grey plastic while the home was rendered in a dark colour.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Seems to be quite popular among our south Asian neighbours around here when updating houses . Though if you look at new builds they too love grey.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Can you find the prices of the houses in the article?

'Tasteless' homeowners are slammed over 'Grey Plague' trend | Daily Mail Online

'Tasteless' homeowners have been slammed over a trend of ruining pretty homes with dreary paint-jobs, supersized fences and Astro-turf lawns, dubbed the 'Grey Plague'.

A number of examples have been shared online in recent weeks, showing how once picturesque white houses, often dating back centuries, have been transformed into ugly, grey mountains stripped of greenery and often with imposing front features.

The worst offenders, according to scores of social media users, appear to be Edwardian and Victorian redbrick homes clad in dreary grey render, with some described as 'truly shocking.'

One Victorian home, complete with a pretty turret, was given a grey makeover in Woodford Green, Essex, with commenters saying the owners had ruined a decent house.

All the white wooden windows were changed to grey plastic while the home was rendered in a dark colour.
        Our red-brick Victorian house was rendered/painted white. I quite like it as it might be rather brooding otherwise, nestled in the trees, but I do wonder if it can be reverted or our old 1860 bricks will only crumble and look awful.

I was sanding our external wooden windows (white) and discovered the dark green they were originally. Easy to forget just how dark Victorian houses were.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Seems to be quite popular among our south Asian neighbours around here when updating houses . Though if you look at new builds they too love grey.
          Racist!

All ethnicities in my area have been infected with this plaque.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Racist!

All ethnicities in my area have been infected with this plaque.
            I hope its a Blue Plaque...
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Happening around here too - I just don't understand the mentality.

Why spend all that money to make a house look like a post-war prefab?

(actually most post-war prefabs had more character)
              Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Our red-brick Victorian house was rendered/painted white. I quite like it as it might be rather brooding otherwise, nestled in the trees, but I do wonder if it can be reverted or our old 1860 bricks will only crumble and look awful.

I was sanding our external wooden windows (white) and discovered the dark green they were originally. Easy to forget just how dark Victorian houses were.
                Dark green paint?

Bet your bottom $ it's got lead in it.

It's good stuff, is lead paint.

Sanding it, not so much.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  Dark green paint?

Bet your bottom $ it's got lead in it.

It's good stuff, is lead paint.

Sanding it, not so much.
                  Probably - not sure if this is original but it's certainly decades old.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have nothing to comment on the article itself but bloody hell, the ads on the daily fail website make it almost unusable.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X