• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan Z - making and selling tat for fun and profit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's easy money to be made on Etsy - I don't know about "make a living" money, but with enough effort, quite possibly.
    My next door neighbour makes a few grand a year selling old bottles cut in half to make drinking glasses for £5-£15 a pop (beer bottles etc). Zero materials cost (he picks up bottles from a few local pubs), and very little work once you have the kit to do it. I think he puts in a couple of hours a week, if that. There's loads of stuff like that on Etsy that people are willing to pay, say, sub £20 for, that really takes nothing in materials and very little in terms of skill to make. Judging by the number of reviews some of those types of items get on there, some people are selling a lot of it, too. Might even be fun for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
      There's easy money to be made on Etsy - I don't know about "make a living" money, but with enough effort, quite possibly.
      Make it Fatsy and MF will throw his weight behind it...

Comment

The problem with these wheezes is that people who can't earn a decent wedge elsewhere have already got there and it gets competitive pretty quickly. I've been trying to weigh up the world of printer ink, cut throat. At the start of lockdown you could buy a printer with 2 ink cartridges for less than the price of 2 cartridges. There are now loads of 'new' printers without cartridges for sale on eBay at prices higher than the well known stores. Are there really that many lazy buyers out there !?

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
          Are there really that many lazy buyers out there !?
          Check history (sold) auctions for the product and that will tell you.

Comment

Are there really that many lazy buyers out there !?
            Oh, you would be astonished. The latest one I stumbled on is people selling medication for silly money. A pack of aspirins that would normally cost 70p for £5. I think someone mentioned bundling products and I had noticed people sweeping boxes of stuff off the shelves of Lidl. I thought they were being sent abroad for relatives until I saw same products going on Ebay for hefty mark ups. Some people will pay for the convenience. I live in London and have 4 Lidl shops in a one mile radius of where I live so I don't have to. Mind you, when my contract runs out I'll be looking for new ways to make money, so you never know.

Comment

I think some people believe that the likes of eBay will be cheaper because it's second hand stuff. There's also the perception that Etsy is arty so it can charge a bit of a premium.

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                Oh, you would be astonished. The latest one I stumbled on is people selling medication for silly money. A pack of aspirins that would normally cost 70p for £5. I think someone mentioned bundling products and I had noticed people sweeping boxes of stuff off the shelves of Lidl. I thought they were being sent abroad for relatives until I saw same products going on Ebay for hefty mark ups. Some people will pay for the convenience. I live in London and have 4 Lidl shops in a one mile radius of where I live so I don't have to. Mind you, when my contract runs out I'll be looking for new ways to make money, so you never know.
                The wonders of Lidl. I was doing the lockdown shopping and discovered Lidl for the first time, trolly wheels creaking on each visit, not good for the waistline though.

Comment

The problem with these wheezes is that people who can't earn a decent wedge elsewhere have already got there and it gets competitive pretty quickly. I've been trying to weigh up the world of printer ink, cut throat. At the start of lockdown you could buy a printer with 2 ink cartridges for less than the price of 2 cartridges. There are now loads of 'new' printers without cartridges for sale on eBay at prices higher than the well known stores. Are there really that many lazy buyers out there !?
                  But how much ink is in those starter cartridges? I always assumed there isn't that much in them, but maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                    But how much ink is in those starter cartridges? I always assumed there isn't that much in them, but maybe not.
                    Not a huge amount, you have to keep the kids and Mrs under strict control but lockdown means more printing. But I'm now filling them with eBay ink and all is well so far. I got 2 printers for £25 a pop with cartridges in early lockdown

Comment

The wonders of Lidl. I was doing the lockdown shopping and discovered Lidl for the first time, trolly wheels creaking on each visit, not good for the waistline though.
                      How's the spanners collection coming along?

Got all the screwdrivers you could possibly need?

How about a nice air compressor?

An arc welder (inverter of course)?

Have they got around to mig & tig welders yet?
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X