Plan Z - making and selling tat for fun and profit Plan Z - making and selling tat for fun and profit
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 65
  1. #1

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak is always on top

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,773

    Default Plan Z - making and selling tat for fun and profit

    So I've just taken in a neighbour's parcel for her and she has the name of a previously unknown business in her address, I googled the name and it seems that she's making key rings out of cord and lego-type heads and selling them for a tenner a pop.

    I'm not a natural entrepreneur like wot MF is, but there has to something that I can make easily or buy and sell for a healthy profit.

    I'm off to do a bit of research now...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  2. #2

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH has reached the peak. Play again?

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    22,274

    Default

    You could make a train line from London to Birmingham. Went up another billion today.
    Should hit £100bn in the next month or so.
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

  3. #3

    bored now

    eek is always on top

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    You could make a train line from London to Birmingham. Went up another billion today.
    Should hit £100bn in the next month or so.
    That £800m is merely to remove asbestos from Euston without having to close the station for years. Personally I would just knock it down and start again - the 1960's "improvements" were anything but...


    So it's only attached to HS2 because otherwise it would have to come from Network Rails' budget and you would expect them to notice asbestos within their own HQ...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  4. #4

    Godlike

    jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,272

    Default

    The problem with selling tat, or anything really, is that you need to deal with "customers". Pretty soon, you'd rather be talking to scootie on the internet.

  5. #5

    bored now

    eek is always on top

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    26,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    The problem with selling tat, or anything really, is that you need to deal with "customers". Pretty soon, you'd rather be talking to scootie on the internet.
    Nope even the stupidest customer isn't that stupid (and I used to do IT support for secretaries and marketing back in the late 1980's).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  6. #6

    Super poster

    _V_ - scorchio!

    _V_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,059

    Default

    I'm always intrigued by the story of someone who found some tat from China and realised he/she could still make a healthy profit by giving it away free, but with a fairly high post and packing. So they did some drop shipping and viral advertising on social media about free stuff and people lapped it up and it made them a millionaire.
    I design idiot proof software. Trouble is, they keep making better idiots.

  7. #7

    Godlike

    jamesbrown is a fount of knowledge

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Nope even the stupidest customer isn't that stupid (and I used to do IT support for secretaries and marketing back in the late 1980's).
    Ok, point taken, scootie is a very high bar. Still, there's a lot of cretins out there. Just ask MF.

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    Paddy is a fount of knowledge

    Paddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    11,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    So I've just taken in a neighbour's parcel for her and she has the name of a previously unknown business in her address, I googled the name and it seems that she's making key rings out of cord and lego-type heads and selling them for a tenner a pop.

    I'm not a natural entrepreneur like wot MF is, but there has to something that I can make easily or buy and sell for a healthy profit.

    I'm off to do a bit of research now...
    There must be a market for keyrings made up from decapitated lego folk.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

  9. #9

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran has reached the peak. Play again?

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    36,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    There must be a market for keyrings made up from decapitated lego folk.

    Sockie scalps?
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  10. #10

    Super poster

    CheeseSlice 's job has never been outsourced

    CheeseSlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melting on your hamburger
    Posts
    2,187

    Default

    I experienced a weird kind of drop-shipping recently.

    I bought a small item from ebay, brand new sold as 'buy-it-now' with delivery included in price.
    It was only about a fiver and I could have bought the same thing from Amazon for about 50p less. However I don't have Prime, so item+delivery worked out cheaper on ebay.

    I gave ebay my money and the item arrived next day in an Amazon box! The packing slip said it was a gift.

    I figured the business model was to monetise their Prime unlimited delivery, making a small profit on the item from Amazon.
    Can't see how its worth the effort to be honest, but I imagine Ebay and Amazon will probably hate this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •