• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom London Tier 2 from Saturday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Pubs are (generally) not the problem. Distancing, contact details, table service only etc are quite strictly enforced, from what I've seen.
    The problem is outside pubs, such as large house parties or other large gatherings of mostly teenagers.

Tier 3 will be largely ignored by enough idiots that it will make no difference to the spread, while killing large swathes of the economy. Just my 2p worth.
    Untrue. The virus is so obviously airborne and capable of lingering around. An indoors venue with strangers, with or without aircon, is the perfect way to spread it around.

The key here is that the original strategy of 'herd immunity' is still being attempted, despite evidence being inconclusive on this being possible. If the virus mutates - as is believed (current Lancet magazine, BMJ too) - then it is plausible someone who caught it in February can now catch it again and not just brush it off as a minor second infection.

Exposure time seems to matter. If you brush past someone and somehow are exposed to it via air, or perhaps on a surface, that's considered a small dosing. If you're talking to an infected person for 3 hours over pints then your viral exposure is higher and the illness likely to be worse.

Given how ubiquitous alcohol is here in shops I don't see the need to support pubs now and would rather help the economy in other ways.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Do they have clean running water yet?

So mean!

If you continue to say such bad things a million times then I’ll consider leaving this mean forum for good.

Comment

Originally posted by anim View Post
        Fortunately we have the control set countries: Sweden and Belarus. So it is not what we have been dished.

This government will be remembered as the gov which buried the economy and a lot of lives too. Total twats.
        I do not know why people keep quoting Sweden like the country continued completely as normal. They didn't. Students over 16 had online learning, people are told to work from home if possible, over 70s are told to limit contacts with people, heavily pregnant women are told to take precautions, and there is a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people. Also Swedish people were banned by many countries from traveling to them.

And yes the UK government are a-holes as they can't make firm decisions.
        Last edited by SueEllen; 16 October 2020, 08:03.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I do not know why people keep quoting Sweden like the country continued completely as normal. They didn't. Students over 16 had online learning, people are told to work from home if possible, over 70s are told to limit contacts with people, heavily pregnant women are told to take precautions, and there is a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people. Also Swedish people were banned by many countries from traveling to them.

And yes the UK government are a-holes as they can't make firm decisions.
          Yes but they absolutely did not shut down their economy in any way, they still suffered a gdp reduction due to lower exports because of other countries but otherwise domestically had a minimal decline.

All while having similar health impact to other european countries with similar demographics.

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
            Yes but they absolutely did not shut down their economy in any way, they still suffered a gdp reduction due to lower exports because of other countries but otherwise domestically had a minimal decline.

All while having similar health impact to other european countries with similar demographics.
            Have you evidence to back up your repeated claims?
            Last time you claimed Sweden had done it right, you were presented with evidence that proved you were wrong, so why are you repeating your falsehoods?

Edit, here's the posts: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2811286
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Your last statement is false.

They had the highest number of deaths per 100,000 of population of any Nordic country. Like the UK they didn't test all suspected Covid cases and didn't hospitalise those with "mild' infections as their health service was over run.

And they also had the biggest Q2 GDP fall of any Nordic country. Coronavirus: Sweden GDP falls 8.6% in Q2, more than Nordic neighbors - Business Insider

If you want to hold up islands who did well , as the UK consists of islands, look at New Zealand and Japan.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                Again, how is this going to be enforced?
                It cannot be enforced. It relies (it has to rely) on the common sense of the citizens and the trust they have in their governments.

Which is why countries like Sweden are doing OK and country of a-holes like uk and us are doing poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                  Won't change much.

People will still meet up outdoors.

There need to be more deaths for people to start behaving appropriately. Give it a couple of months.
                  Probably what's more important now is number of hospitalisations, rather than deaths, which are still, relatively, low.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                    Untrue. The virus is so obviously airborne and capable of lingering around. An indoors venue with strangers, with or without aircon, is the perfect way to spread it around.

The key here is that the original strategy of 'herd immunity' is still being attempted, despite evidence being inconclusive on this being possible. If the virus mutates - as is believed (current Lancet magazine, BMJ too) - then it is plausible someone who caught it in February can now catch it again and not just brush it off as a minor second infection.

Exposure time seems to matter. If you brush past someone and somehow are exposed to it via air, or perhaps on a surface, that's considered a small dosing. If you're talking to an infected person for 3 hours over pints then your viral exposure is higher and the illness likely to be worse.

Given how ubiquitous alcohol is here in shops I don't see the need to support pubs now and would rather help the economy in other ways.
                    "Over the last 6 months I've been reading a lot of regurgitated unsourced crap on the internet, combined with a delusion that I am in some way intelligent I'm going to... " blahh blahh blahh.

Comment

I'm fairly sure I read somewhere that they suffered the same as Denmark (which did lockdown) in terms of people stopping spending.

Comment

Working...
                      X