• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan - [Insert letter of your choice here]

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan - [Insert letter of your choice here]

With the downturn and contractors having a war chest doing nothing, are there opportunities buying a distressed business at a good price, only to flip it in the coming boom?

Small to Large Businesses For Sale In The UK
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Looks like guest houses and small to medium hotels are on a fire sale.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Court can tell you lots about that, he has a newsletter and everything!

Comment

Feel sorry for all those coffee shops. They've not got the tax duck dive dodging resources of Starbucks to weather this.

There'll be a place for them in a year or two, how to get to there without going under is the million dollar question.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

There are plenty of opportunities.
          I have 2.3 billion worth of stuff available - all sectors - no joke.

4651 £2,375,022,878.77 £510,647.79 £1.00 £213,809,379.00
          I have another 77 pubs and a few other things waiting to be listed this afternoon too.
          Guest houses/B&B's. Be careful what you are paying for. The business value could well be lower than the bricks and mortar value. Pay closer to business value if you can.

Hotels some are on a fire sale but some vendors are holding firm. I will have more in soon in addition to the 51 I already have. I have a 31 bed hotel on the south coast for peanuts if you can be very quick. Best and final offer by noon on Monday Guiding at £275,000. Cash buyers only must complete within 21 days of Monday and indemnify.

As Ladymuck says I know an awful lot about this stuff. A link to my listings mag is is my sig.
          I produce a listings magazine and also write "Market Comment"

I am always happy to answer questions from folk here. Just reply to this post or get in touch privately of you prefer but I am happy to answer questions and provide advice openly.

If anyone wants me to advertise to find them a new business that is fine too.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Feel sorry for all those coffee shops. They've not got the tax duck dive dodging resources of Starbucks to weather this.

There'll be a place for them in a year or two, how to get to there without going under is the million dollar question.
            It is very difficult for these businesses.
            Unfortunately too many will go to wall.
            Im taking reductions on my list.
            The problem we will have with independents is that they tend to take older self contained building stock instead of mall type units liked by the multiples such as Starbucks. Thing is that a lot of this stock is on the radar of developers for retail to residential conversions. So we won't get these back if the building is sold. Which in turn means that the community is deprived of sometimes better coffee and better cakes too.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Some coffee shops are doing ok as they placed themselves in residential areas but on a walking route to a tube/train station. This means while they do serve some commuters their main customers are local residents.

I actually know two who also now don't have the overheads of staff as their staff haven't returned to the UK after fleeing earlier this year. This is lucky as they can't social distance in their shops.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

"blood is not on the streets" just yet, so I guess it might be worth waiting, few more months of tenants breaking contracts, Christmas wallet beating... and things will start to correct a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                  "blood is not on the streets" just yet, so I guess it might be worth waiting, few more months of tenants breaking contracts, Christmas wallet beating... and things will start to correct a bit more.
                  No one actually knows what will happen past Crimbo yet.
                  It is difficult to tell.
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                    No one actually knows what will happen past Crimbo yet.
                    It is difficult to tell.
                    if gov keeps printing money and propping up the system, we get rampant inflation. Unless the money does not reach the lower floors of society -> than they would be f-ed anyway.

if they stop printing the financial sector will start clearing their books and panic will set in. '08 crisis almost wiped out the financial system, now we might be in a similar situation.
                    we had CDO's -> collateralised debt obligation now we have bespoke trench opportunity

we might see a nationalisation of economy, I think already the state has bought 1/3 of mortgages in some countries. but how would this create a fairer system for everyone? if you pamper and isolate the old a rich and drown in debt the young and poor?
                    I for one am loosing any will to do anything productive in this world. if being an immigrant and trying to make it and support the entitled ones was not hard enough, now having a society segregated based on wealth and less meritorious makes me question even more my role in this world.

and I guess plenty of people would feel very similar.
                    Last edited by GigiBronz; 17 October 2020, 13:54.

Comment

Working...
                    X