• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So first we aren't recycling enough...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So first we aren't recycling enough...

then they can't cope!

Household recycling surge raises costs for councils in England | Environment | The Guardian

The amount of household recycling collected has nearly doubled in some areas during the pandemic, pushing up the costs of keeping services running, local councils have said.

Eight in 10 English councils reported a rise in the volume of paper, cardboard, plastic and glass being collected since the national lockdown began, according to data from the Local Government Association (LGA).

Half of councils said they were collecting up to 20% more material for recycling than normal, with a third dealing with 50% more and some noting a 100% rise – on a par with levels usually experienced at Christmas.

The surge in the amount of household waste and recycling to collect has increased costs to councils, alongside extra cleaning of vehicles, staff shortages due to Covid-19, and disruption caused by more cars parked on roads.

The LGA warns that councils face a funding gap of more than £5bn by 2024 to maintain services at current levels – a figure that could double amid the economic uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

“Councils have kept waste and recycling services running during the Covid-19 outbreak, working hard to keep staff safe and deal with high volumes of household waste normally only seen at Christmas,” said Cllr David Renard, LGA environment spokesman. “This has led to additional cost pressures, which must be met in full for councils to be able to maintain services and cope with the increase.”

Among those buckling under the pressure are Gateshead council, which saw the total tonnage of recycling collected between April and July this year increase by 23% compared with last year, with more cardboard being recycled than ever before – up 250%.

In Devon, recycling rates rose 12% between April and June of this year, with 1,000 tonnes more glass bottles and jars and 1,300 tonnes more card collected than during the same period in 2019. This is despite Devon already having one of the highest recycling rates in the country, at 56%.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Nice DOOM trash, very nice

Comment

Makes sense since recycling at businesses I believe is handled by private companies mostly so would expect with everyone working from home that councils are seeing a large increase.

Comment

Seem to be a lot of people having clear outs. I moderate Freecycle and been getting more offers posts in a day than I used to get in a fortnight.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

And finally the councils have been caught sending all the tulip to India etc. claiming it is being recycled and taking the brown envelopes.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            And finally the councils have been caught sending all the tulip to India etc. claiming it is being recycled and taking the brown envelopes.
            Racist!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Racist!

SueEllen in drag with a nut fetish?

No I'm not keen dumping our crap on India/Malaysia etc rather than doing a proper job recycling. Have you not seen the kids burning wire and smashing up TVs on beaches?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Racist!
                Nah lots of council workers are like Dido Harding.*

*male versions are available.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Brown envelopes...

Comment

Working...
                  X