• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: House Prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: House Prices

“ Three in four homes in some parts of the country are having their valuations reduced by as much as 20% as lenders become increasingly fearful of a sharp fall in house prices.

In a clear sign that banks are becoming nervous about rising property prices, valuations — carried out when people apply for a mortgage — are proving to be well below the price agreed by the buyer and the seller.

In one west London suburb, the buyers of a four-bedroom house were forced to pull out after the home on which they had had a £700,000 offer accepted was valued at £550,000.”

Will house prices crash? Plunging valuations fuel fears | News | The Sunday Times

SOYMF

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      “ Three in four homes in some parts of the country are having their valuations reduced by as much as 20% as lenders become increasingly fearful of a sharp fall in house prices.

In a clear sign that banks are becoming nervous about rising property prices, valuations — carried out when people apply for a mortgage — are proving to be well below the price agreed by the buyer and the seller.

In one west London suburb, the buyers of a four-bedroom house were forced to pull out after the home on which they had had a £700,000 offer accepted was valued at £550,000.”

Will house prices crash? Plunging valuations fuel fears | News | The Sunday Times
      Location, Location, Location,
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

It's behind a paywall so I can't see the whole story, but from what I can see it just sounds like made up numbers to create a story. Do they, for example, state the actual property that has supposedly been reduced from 700k to 550k? That's one hell of a drop and I can't think of many areas in West London where you could get a 4 bed house for 550K now, or for that matter 10 years ago!

And as for the " 3 out of 4 houses being reduced by valuations" .... again, where is the evidence of this? I can't see that far into the story, but do they list real evidence or is it just the journo making something up to sell a story? As you all know, nothing sells better than doom

Edit: just wanted to add too ... "by as much as 20%" is one of those claims that could mean anything from 0% to 20% Same as those advertisements that claim that by buying product x toothpaste your teeth can be up to 100% whiter ... yeah, 0% is "up to 100%"
        Last edited by Whorty; 18 October 2020, 20:35.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

like i said........... SOYMF

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            like i said........... SOYMF
            TURWAWMKWYS *

* Try using real words and we might know what you're saying
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I don't know that i can be simple enough for you, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                TURWAWMKWYS *

* Try using real words and we might know what you're saying
                https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2819567

Comment

yes, those numbers do sound made up to make a story.

having said that, if you go have a look at the mortgages section of the moneysavingexpert forum, you'll find a few people having this problem with lenders and having to pull out of a deal.

good luck to whoever is waiting on a mortgage application or is about to start one.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                    good luck to whoever is waiting on a mortgage application or is about to start one.
                    Is that good luck that you get turned down and don't buy just before a drop or !? I can't see it dropping much myself with such low interest rates.

Comment

Working...
                    X