• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom: Government at war with Manchester

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom: Government at war with Manchester

(Definition of "to negotiate" is - to have formal discussions with someone in order to reach an agreement with them )

Greater Manchester given midday deadline for tier 3 deal

UK communities secretary Robert Jenrick has written to local leaders in Greater Manchester giving them until midday on Tuesday to reach an agreement on the introduction of Tier 3 restrictions.

In a statement Jenrick said:

There are now more Covid-19 patients in Greater Manchester hospitals than in the whole of the South West and South East combined.

But, unfortunately, despite recognising the gravity of the situation, local leaders have been so far unwilling to take the action that is required to get this situation under control.

I have written to local leaders this evening to make clear that if we cannot reach agreement by midday tomorrow then I must advise the Prime Minister that despite our best endeavours we’ve been unable to reach agreement.

It’s not too late for local leaders to work with us to take action.

Earlier this evening, Greater Manchester mayor Andy Burnham said: “We went into today’s meeting with the government with a positive and unanimous view amongst Greater Manchester leaders that we should seek a resolution as soon as possible.

“We had been encouraged by earlier discussions at an official level where the idea of a Hardship Fund, to top up furlough payments and support the self-employed, had been tabled by the government.

“It was both surprising and disappointing when this idea was taken off the table by the Secretary of State.”

Coronavirus live news: Greater Manchester given midday deadline for tier 3 deal; global cases pass 40m | World news | The Guardian
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

WGAS, it's grim up north!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

SOYMF

Comment

More scare mongering. It easy to find details of 'Deaths' and 'Critical bed over use' but none on bed capacity or whether the 287 beds they are counting (which sounds very small to me) does not include the beds from the Nightingale hospital.

Comment

Another deal? Who holds all the cards here?

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            Another deal? Who holds all the cards here?
            Andy Burnham holds nothing, he's playing political games and he's going to get his arse handed to him on a plate.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I am speaking to you from the cabinet room at 10 Downing Street. This morning the British ambassador in Manchester handed the Manchester government a final note stating that unless we heard from them by 12 o'clock that they were prepared at once to a level 3 lockdown; war would exist between us. I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently this country is at war with Manchester.

You can imagine what a bitter blow it is to me that all my long struggle to win peace has failed. Yet I cannot believe that there is anything more, or anything different, that I could have done and that would have been more successful. Up to the very last it would have been quite possible to have arranged a peaceful and honourable settlement between Manchester and Westminster. But Manchester would not have it. Although Manchester now says they put forward reasonable proposals which were rejected by Westminster, that is not a true statement.

No people or country could feel itself safe, had become intolerable. And now that we have resolved to finish it, I know that you will all play your part with calmness and courage.

Boris Johnson
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                Andy Burnham holds nothing, he's playing political games and he's going to get his arse handed to him on a plate.
                I don't get why they're putting up with this in Westminster. Manchester isn't a devolved nation FFS.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
                  He just has the Chair of the 1922 committee as one of the MPs backing him.

So Brexit done, Boris bye bye
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I don't get why they're putting up with this in Westminster. Manchester isn't a devolved nation FFS.
                    Indeed. Boris appears to be rather spineless.

Comment

Working...
                    X