• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can remote work be the silver bullet for outside IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can remote work be the silver bullet for outside IR35?

Did a quick IR35 test on HMRC's website

From client's perspective.

With working remotely I have provided this answers:

Does your organisation have the right to decide how the work is done?

No, the worker solely decides

Does your organisation have the right to decide the worker’s working hours?

No, your organisation and the worker agree. Could be Worker only decided with work remotely. Many people dont stick to 9-95.

Does your organisation have the right to decide where the worker does the work?

No, the worker decides. With remote I can be at home, co-working or anywhere really. But even a YES answer, results in outside determination.

Will the worker have to fund any other costs before your organisation pays them?

Yes

Others are standard answers, in fact I answered them in restrictive manner.

Now the bold is important.

Code:
    Will the worker have to fund any other costs before your organisation pays them?
    Worker’s financial risk
    This can include non-commuting travel or accommodation, or external business premises for this work only.
    This asks if you pay for an office. At the moment my clients office is shut for 99% of the stuff. I rent a co-working space close to them, because I dont want to have meetings at home/other homes in the rare occasion this happens.

I got outside result. The above is 100% true and follows current working practices. In case your client is willing to run the test (some will just say no LTDs of course) is this the silver bullet?
    Last edited by anim; 20 October 2020, 08:53.

No, and if anything the more permies WFH the more it dilutes the argument

Comment

It would (should) be one of many factors that all add up, not just this one element.

Comment

Will be new outsaucing boom

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          No, and if anything the more permies WFH the more it dilutes the argument
          How so? I dont thing where the permies work has anything to do?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            It would (should) be one of many factors that all add up, not just this one element.
            Of course, but this setup gave me outside answer. Other factors are really the standard answers:

Code:
            Who are you?

Hirer

Does the worker provide their services through a limited company, partnership or unincorporated association?

Yes

Has the worker already started working for your organisation?

Yes

2. Worker’s duties
            Will the worker be an ‘Office Holder’?

No

3. Substitutes and helpers
            Has the worker ever sent a substitute to do this work?

No, it has not happened

Do you have the right to reject a substitute?

Yes

Has the worker paid another person to do a significant amount of this work?

No

4. Working arrangements
            Does your organisation have the right to move the worker from the task they originally agreed to do?

No, that would require a new contract or formal working arrangement

Does your organisation have the right to decide how the work is done

No, the worker solely decides

Does your organisation have the right to decide the worker’s working hours?

No, your organisation and the worker agree

Does your organisation have the right to decide where the worker does the work?

Yes

Page 2 of 4

HM Revenue & Customs
            HM Revenue & Customs
            Check Employment Status for Tax
            What you told us
            5. Worker’s financial risk
            Will the worker have to buy equipment before your organisation pays them?

No

Will the worker have to fund any vehicle costs before your organisation pays them?

No

Will the worker have to buy materials before your organisation pays them?

No

Yes

How will the worker be paid for this work?

An hourly, daily or weekly rate

If your organisation was not happy with the work, would the worker have to put it right?

Yes, unpaid and they would have extra costs that your organisation would not pay for

6. Worker’s involvement
            Will you provide the worker with paid-for corporate benefits?

No

Will the worker have any management responsibilities for your organisation?

No

How would the worker introduce themselves to your consumers or suppliers?

They work for their own business

Page 3 of 4

HM Revenue & Customs
            HM Revenue & Customs
            Check Employment Status for Tax
            What you told us
            7. Worker’s contracts
            Does this contract stop the worker from doing similar work for other organisations?

No

Is the worker required to ask permission to work for other organisations?

No

Are there any ownership rights relating to this contract?

No

Has the worker had a previous contract with your organisation?

Yes

Will this contract start immediately after the previous one ended?

Yes

Will this work take up the majority of the worker’s available working time?

Yes

Has the worker done any self-employed work of a similar nature for other clients in the last 12 months?

No

Page 4 of 4

Get help with this page.
            Support linksCookies Accessibility statement Privacy policy Terms and conditions Help using GOV.UK
            Open Government Licence
            All content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0, except where otherwise stated

© Crown Copyright

Comment

I believe either Grant Thornton (or it may be EY) are currently using this exact argument to justify recharging clients for the IR35 "work" they did last year.

Equally I suspect the working at home bit is going to be given far less weight now everyone does it.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I believe either Grant Thornton (or it may be EY) are currently using this exact argument to justify recharging clients for the IR35 "work" they did last year.

Equally I suspect the working at home bit is going to be given far less weight now everyone does it.
                I dont thing working from home is the main factor here. I thing it is that you rent a co-work space for this project. Office being closed justifies it.

Comment

Originally posted by anim View Post
                  I dont thing working from home is the main factor here. I thing it is that you rent a co-work space for this project. Office being closed justifies it.
                  So it's not remote work - you are renting an office.

And it's a very niche case that I suspect wouldn't survive a close inspection
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by anim View Post
                    How so? I dont thing where the permies work has anything to do?
                    Because when the permies are doing the same thing as you, you're no longer being set apart. If every permie is 9 - 5, in the office and you're flexible hours at home then that's a great differentiator. If every permie is flexible working at home, then it's not and loses its status as an outside indicator.

Notice also how "Does your client have the right to decide how the work is done?" is immaterial for highly skilled work, for exactly the same reason. The permies doing the highly skilled work will also be working autonomously: ESM0527 - Employment Status Manual - HMRC internal manual - GOV.UK

Which I notice you answered "No" for, when I'd expect most contractors should be answering "Not Relevant"

Comment

Working...
                    X