• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Free School Meals - What price on bad PR?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I don't think being unable to cope with the unexpected cost of extra meals is a budget failure. Some people don't have the luxury of having spare money to put aside for the unexpected.
    Remember this cost isn't unexpected - you can see when school holidays are.

My point wasn't that it is a budget failure, it's just that people don't (and often can't) budget.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      oh right I just see them buying beer & fags and feeding their kids chicken nuggets.
      Lazy stereotyping, in my experience that usually happens when a freeloading man moves in. The woman desperate for some love and affection in what is a tulipty life focuses on HIS needs and the kids become mildly neglected.

Today, been a Friday, I will be taking my granddaughter to McDonalds for some nuggets after school and when we get home I'll be having a few beers.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

My mum works in school meals for a local authority and we have all as a family at some point helped out in the service at differing bits.In certain areas across the authority there are children whose only hot meal duringthe week is at school. When schools closed unexpectedly and people were losing jobs, this was difficult for some. Obviously.

As SueEllen says above, this is not a black and whiteissue at all and is NOT always about unintelligent parents who decide to buyfags rather than some broccoli for their kids. I can’t work out whether some ofthese comments are tongue in cheek or not – I have read some crap on this boardover the years but some of the stuff in this thread has really rankled.

Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          I have read some crap on this boardover the years but some of the stuff in this thread has really rankled.
          +1

For the sake of my sanity I put it down to trolling - I really hope that the posters are not that ignorant
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
            +1

For the sake of my sanity I put it down to trolling - I really hope that the posters are not that ignorant
            Sorry but they are...
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The Tories aren't against subsidised meals as evidenced here:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Yeah, but that’s totally different - subsidy goes to very few people, so low cost to taxpayer

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Yeah, but that’s totally different - subsidy goes to very few people, so low cost to taxpayer

The children they are refusing to feed are the future taxpayers who will be paying their pensions and/or doing other services for them including personal care.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I have to admit that I am disappointed by the contents of this thread.

I feel that it reflects poorly on many of our contributors.
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
                    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
                      I have to admit that I am disappointed by the contents of this thread.

I feel that it reflects poorly on many of our contributors.
                      Really - I'm not.

Too many people seem to operate on the basis that "I'm alright, Jack. Screw U"
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X