• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Who should pay a lot more tax?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Amateurs compared to the current lot I'm afraid.
    Let's see whether or not the chancellor leaves a "The Cupboard is bare" for his successor...
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I still maintain the answer is to tax dividends the same as PAYE, but keep everything else the same.

I.e., no IR35, can still work away claiming expenses - but any actual income from the company is taxed at the normal rate.

Then they can do whatever they want with tax bands and affect people equally.

Comment

With Corp tax taken into account (and it will go up) divis already at PAYE level - and most certainly they will be aligned with income tax levels, in any case amounts raised will be about fook all

In the mean time dividends paid to offshore companies are not subject to tax ffs - easy target but for SOME reason not even Labour under Corbyn proposed to tax them

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          With Corp tax taken into account (and it will go up) divis already at PAYE level
          I mean, no they're not. You have a £2k tax free element before you even start, and no NICs. I agree the difference isn't as much as any people think, especially since the changes over the last few years - but I think there'd be a lot less bitterness if we just paid the same amounts in a straightforward way.
          Last edited by vwdan; 22 October 2020, 11:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
            Let's see whether or not the chancellor leaves a "The Cupboard is bare" for his successor...
            There won't even be a cupboard left, just a lot of unopened letters from the debt collection agency appointed by the IMF.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              I mean, no they're not. You have a £2k tax free element before you even start, and no NICs. I agree the difference isn't as much as any people think, especially since the changes over the last few years - but I think there'd be a lot less bitterness if we just paid the same amounts in a straightforward way.
              NI is not a tax and if you don't pay into NI you aren't entitled to the benefits it pays for.

If you eliminate NI it's virtually the same. The only way any of us benefit is an exit through ER. Without that there is no tax advantage.

If you wanted to attack something it would be ER but that's not desirable since it's one of the only limited benefits small businesses get and the big guys get enough advantages.

Comment

12k income tax is free now, isn’t it? So tax on dividends straight after 2k is already more

Secondly, and that’s most important - dividends use of reducing (replacing) high(er) rates of tax is the main issue when it comes to serious tax revenues, this is where divi hike and upcoming corp tax increases (certainly under Labour) will pretty much equalise things - for high taxpayers, which are the ones who matter for bulk of tax revenues.

In the meantime offshore directed dividends won’t be touched

Comment

Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
                  NI is not a tax and if you don't pay into NI you aren't entitled to the benefits it pays for.
                  That's just useless semantics. NI is a tax in every useful sense of the word, and your second line is just untrue. You don't get turned away from A&E because you haven't been paying NI.

This kind of nonsense is why we get attacked - if you can't have an honest conversation amongst contractors then what's the use.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    12k income tax is free now, isn’t it? So tax on dividends straight after 2k is already more
                    Not sure what you're point is here. Regardless of what you earn elsewhere, if you take dividends out of a Ltd you get £2k free - so if you earn £50k and go and do £2k's worth of work on the side, you take home more if you get paid in divvies than you do if you pay in PAYE.

Comment

That's just useless semantics. NI is a tax in every useful sense of the word, and your second line is just untrue. You don't get turned away from A&E because you haven't been paying NI.

This kind of nonsense is why we get attacked - if you can't have an honest conversation amongst contractors then what's the use.
                      National insurance doesn't fund nhs. It's for employment related benefits which you generally only qualify for if you're an employee or were formerly an employee.

I feel like if you don't know this you should do some research. This is pretty basic tulip I would expect any working adult to know.

Comment

Working...
                      X