• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Border controls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border controls

“ Net migration targets have been abandoned by the Government as it ditches the £35,800 salary cap for migrants to be allowed to settle in the UK.

The new rules for Boris Johnson’s points-based immigration system demolish the last vestiges of Theresa May’s attempts to reduce net migration to tens of thousands.

Skilled migrants will no longer be required to earn £35,800 to be able to settle in the UK but instead the cap will be lowered to £25,600 under the rules which were quietly slipped out on Thursday and take effect on December 1.

Unskilled migrants on salaries of just £20,480 but with enough points to be allowed into the UK to plug gaps in shortage jobs will also be entitled to settle in Britain after six years and become citizens.”

Net migration targets abandoned as GBP38,500 salary threshold to settle in UK ditched

The NHS needs nurses, junior doctors and lab scientists lus the UK needs research scientists and engineers.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      The NHS needs nurses, junior doctors and lab scientists lus the UK needs research scientists and engineers.
      Train them? First you’d need to feed them in schools tho

Comment

That was lucky, I thought it was another 'B...' thread...UK presses for use of faster passport gates at EU airports post-Brexit | Politics | The Guardian

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Theresa May's awful immigration policies deserve to be binned. I'm more interested in why it's taken so long. Priti Patel isn't exactly the immigrant's friend either so I suspect it wasn't wholly her idea.

Yes immigration ought to be controlled but there's way better methods of achieving it.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            That was lucky, I thought it was another 'B...' thread...UK presses for use of faster passport gates at EU airports post-Brexit | Politics | The Guardian

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon
            Stamps in passports again! Awesome, I miss those. What's the point of all those pages if no-one stamps them any more.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Stamps in passports again! Awesome, I miss those. What's the point of all those pages if no-one stamps them any more.
              My passport has loads of stamps, all non-EU though
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                You want stamps, go to Africa. Some of the border control guys there love a stamping machine .... crossing from Zambia to Botswana we must have had 4 different men stamp our passports, each one had their own little stamper and it was their job alone to press it. I love a good passport stamp
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  My passport has loads of stamps, all non-EU though
                  I have a few, as you say, non-EU. Hong Kong just gave slips of paper but I glued them in. Nothing from Australia, the gits. I have UAE, Turkey, Oman, Cape Verde, Singapore, New Zealand, Cuba, Ukraine.

Comment

Working...
                  X