• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Maybe bye bye Dido

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe bye bye Dido

Coronavirus: 14-day quarantine for Covid contacts could be reduced - BBC News

The two-week quarantine period for contacts of those who test positive for Covid-19 could be halved, amid criticism of NHS Test and Trace.

Writing in the Telegraph, Conservative MP Sir Bernard Jenkin said a "vacuum of leadership in Test and Trace" was affecting compliance.

Ministers are considering reducing the period to either 10 or seven days.

The government said the daily 400,000 test capacity is bigger per head than France, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Research by King's College London suggested just 10.9% of those traced as contacts of someone with Covid-19 remained at home for the full quarantine period.

Earlier this month, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said he was "very hopeful" of reducing the amount of time people needed to spend in quarantine on arrival in the UK from abroad and this could be done by testing them a week later.

The Telegraph said similar tests could be offered to anyone after a week in isolation.

'Spaghetti of command'

Sir Bernard, chairman of the Commons liaison committee, said public consent and co-operation with England's system was "breaking down".

He said there should be a "visible and decisive" change, with a senior military figure put in charge of the system.

Baroness Dido Harding, currently at the helm, should be "given a well-earned break" so she and others could "reflect on the lessons learned so far", he wrote in the paper.

"There is a spaghetti of command and control at the top, which is incapable of coherent analysis, assessment, planning and delivery," he added. "People lack faith that there is a coherent plan."

A Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) spokesperson said NHS Test and Trace had contacted more 1.1 million people and asked them to self-isolate.

"Dido Harding and her leadership team - drawn from the military, public and private sectors - have built the largest diagnostic industry the UK has ever seen.

"It is the equivalent of building an operation the size of Tesco in a matter of months," the DHSC spokesperson said.

"We need to improve in areas and we are very much focused on that, but we should be talking it up not down."

Last month, it was announced that former Sainsbury's chief executive Mike Coupe would be taking over as director of Covid-19 testing at England's NHS Test and Trace agency.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 25 October 2020, 08:34.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I read that as dildo.

Comment

Her 'well earned break' will probably be to eventually get a highly paid job on something of critical national importance where she has absolutely none of the experience or skills required. HS2 perhaps?

It's amazing she lasted seven years as Talk Talk's CEO.

Comment

Did I hear right on the radio this morning that there's talk of / calls for military oversight of track and trace? Whilst I can see why, it does feel like our slippery slope is getting slipperier

Comment

Dido has done so well with Track and Trace that she is lined up to lead the NHS (you may think I'm joking)...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Did I hear right on the radio this morning that there's talk of / calls for military oversight of track and trace? Whilst I can see why, it does feel like our slippery slope is getting slipperier
              Slippery slope to what - using Army to help taxpayers who are paying for it?

Pretty sure they’d prefer it to Iraq deployment

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Slippery slope to what - using Army to help taxpayers who are paying for it?

Pretty sure they’d prefer it to Iraq deployment
                Slippery slope to ever greater government control, using the military to enforce that control.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Slippery slope to ever greater government control, using the military to enforce that control.
                  Govt already got absolute control in areas where it really matters (to Govt)

Let me remind you -

Blair sent in tanks after 'chilling' threat

Now that was Mor Onic\

Comment

The military have already been running the rest stations since May.

They are doing a great job, thanks to their defined chain of command.

Keep up.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X